1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question regarding S/P switching

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bergy9650, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bergy9650

bergy9650

Jan 4, 2010
    Right now my main bass is a black top jazz bass, which I love, but I'm still trying to find the tone that works the best. So, I had an idea that I'd like to share/get feed back/get help for.

I was thinking about adding series parellel switching to it and wiring it so that between the neck pup and the bridge pup there is a volume pot that could control how much neck pup is coming through. That way I could get more balls from the neck pup without over powering the bridge pup.

Any feed back is welcome!

2. You can place a pot parallel to each coil to have volume controls in series, but it's going to take some complex switching to have volumes in both series and parallel modes. Can't be done with a mini switch or push/pull.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It should be doable with a push/pull... least it worked for me.

jazzSPindepvol.

4. bergy9650

bergy9650

Jan 4, 2010
    So, I'm pretty sure I understand what going on in the diagram. Thanks for sharing! Also, you said you did it; how did you like it?

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I did it on a friend's Jazz clone as I don't own one. I liked both the series and the standard parallel mode - the series is noticeably punchier and louder! One of the caveats of this wiring was that, in series, the volume controls were very touchy and moving the volume up a bit would insert a lot of that pickup into the sound, but you learn to deal with it.

6. bergy9650

bergy9650

Jan 4, 2010
    Ok, sounds good. Thanks a bunch! I'm sure it will be a very big sound with the P bass pickups; hopfully it will help add a little more boom when I'm favoring the bridge pup.

7. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I've hard-wired one of my basses to be permanently in series wiring. If I want more of one pickup I bust out the screwdriver and lower the other pickup to reduce it in the mix. I just wired the earth of one pickup to the hot wire from the other so I still have only one hot and earth wire to attach to the master volume control. I'm not sure exactly how volume controls in series would work as you are only selecting how much of one pickup is then being shunted to the next pickup in the series circuit. It sounds neat but I'm not sure what it would do musically.