1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question reguarding subs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I've used the search function already, and there were a few helpful threads.

here's my dilemma, i was playing at church on Sunday(as i do every sunday) and i noticed that from the low E to the low B, there was no 'presence'. i mean, i could hear the notes, but they didn't sound the same as from the F upwards.

this could be due to the markbass, but from F up, you can really FEEL the notes. i want that for the lower register also, and after a LOT of thought, i'm thinking that bass cabs are probably not designed to give that sort of presence.

i'm thinking that a powered sub is the way to go. i mean, home theatre, cinema, and car audio use dedicated subs for the ultra low frequencies, why shouldn't i? after all, i am the BASS player?

so i want to find out from the guys that use subs:

i- what size drivers do you guys use?
    ii- what crossovers do you use?
    iii- how has the sub improved/detracted from your sound?
    etc etc

thanks a lot guys.

2. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    just a thought...but how big is your "B" string? maybe swap to a 130 if you havent tried that already. maybe try a BBE sonic maximizer too. that could really fill out the bottom end

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i have no idea, i use the DR Fat Beams. i think it might be a 125.

but i dont think its the strings, i think that the cabinet is having trouble producing the fundamentals. i can hear the notes, i just can't feel them.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have no idea what kind of tone you favor. But from what I've gathered, if your problem is low end that you can hear but not feel, the Acme Low B cab is the right medicine to cure your ailment.

Seems that players generally either hate 'em or love 'em - and generally for about the same reasons. But I've hardly heard or read anyone who claimed that the Acmes couldn't put out incredible low end. Maybe an Acme Low B-2 would be the way for you to go...

In case you're interested, here's the Aussie site:

http://www.greensquare.net/acme/index.asp

MM

P.S. No, I have no connection whatsoever to Acme. Merely trying to be a good "matchmaker"...

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I tried using a powered sub with a 4-10 setup. The sub was a 2-10 bandpass design with a 700 watt amplifier. I didn't like it. I messed around with it for months on gigs and never could get a balance I liked. Anytime I had the sub high enough to do something the low end would get overpowering and muddy the mix. Solo it sounded okay, just made a hash out of the band sound.

In the end I sold it and got a better speaker cabinet with a bit better bass response. That was what I needed.

Warwick had an add on powered sub for their combos some years ago. I tried it in the store and it was decent. But you had to be careful to not use much of it.

I wouldn't bother with it myself. On paper the idea sounds good. In practice, all that fundemental, particularly with a 5 string, just messes everything up. Better to just get a cabinet with some bass extension and more power.