QUESTION: Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Moe84, Feb 29, 2004.

1. I was wantin some opinions here on this matter ...I have been told to add a Sonic Maximizer to my rig and it would help make my sound fuller..Well I like my sound now and always thought it was really full as it was but am always open for new suggestions to make it better..So let me here it...Oh by the way my rig is as follows..Ampeg SVT4 pro...Art Nitebass Fx Mod.....thru 2 Peavy 810TX Cabs... I dont always use both cabs though depends on the size of the room :help:
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What a novel question. That search function is just plain over-rated. :meh:

Sorry, I'm feeling sarcastic. I like my BBE. DO a search.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

With the same amount of effort you could have given the guy some advice.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    But that would not have enabled me to express the sarcastic emotions I was feeling at the time. :) Seriously, I apologized, stated that I liked my BBE, and suggested a course of action that would get him many more opinions than just mine.

What amount of effort did you put into this thread without saying anything about BBEs?

Ultimately, tone is subjective, so my real advice is, after you do a search, go to the store and listen to one for yourself.
  5. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I owned a BBE 462... I LOVED it!

then i got a peavey Kosmos... got rid of it fast...

IMO that thing really sucks!
    (based on my expectations after using teh BBE for 6 years)

realized i couldn't live without that style of box in my rack so i got an APHEX 204...

man i REALLY wish i had a BBE right now!

i use a large rig as well...

and i think you would really enjoy the addition of a BBE

in fact they make preampss and di boxes with the sonic maximizer built in
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you want a bigger sound - Try one of the Aphex Xciter pedals.
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I had one of the Xciter pedals. It really fattened things up, but it generated a lot of hiss. Is there anyway around that?
  8. If you have the space in your rack, go with the BBE. The Exciter pedal is fine, and to lessen some of the hiss, you may need to dial down the treble on the bass or amp. The thing is, I have a BBE and it's on ALL THE TIME. It's useless to have it in pedal form. I just plop it in my rack, last in the effects loop, and dial it in. It makes even my rig sound 10X better, and I have a pretty good rig, methinks. (Sansamp RBI, BBE, QSC 3402, Mesa 4x10, Mesa 2x15)

I'm pretty sure they make a mono Sonic Maximizer that fits in 1/2 rack space, so if you have a wireless or something, it's conveniently small. I've never needed the stereo capabilities of mine and only use one side.
  9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I have my BBE 362NR on all the time.

Once in a while I'll think: "It's not really doing that much,"
    and I'll disconnect it and play for a while without it.

Then there their seems to be something wrong.
    My tone isn't particularly 'thick & rich.'

Plug the BBE in again and There It Is.

It's a keeper.