1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question: What Head Should I Use With My Ampeg 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 12AX7, Sep 25, 2008.

1. 12AX7

12AX7

Sep 25, 2008
    Hi, this is a question coming from a bass player who is fairly clueless when it comes to matching heads to cabinets, so I was wondering if some seasoned pros could help me come to an intelligent decision:

I have an Ampeg 8x10AV cabinet and I want a head that will take FULL advantage of its power; I tried out an SVT-3 head during practice one day (I play in a metal band) and found that it was only as powerful as I needed it to be when I pretty much had it running as hot as it could go. Does anybody have an opinion on using a Genz Benz GBE 750 Head with the 8x10? That's the next one I'm going to try.

Thanks so much!

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The real answer: Keep testing heads till any of the following happens:

1) you find a head that does the job;

2) you find the 8x10 doesn't do the job and you shop for cabinets and a head;

3) you run out of time and money.

Only you can tell whether the head/cab works in your situation. You will get a dozen recommendations for heads here, every one of them being made by a person who has never listened to your band.

I'll throw you a suggestion for the Eden WT550; it'll work beautifully with that cabinet. Is it the right head for you? I don't know at all.

We could just list every head here, and you wouldn't have any better idea than you now have.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    There are so many possibilities...If money and weight were no object (and how can you say weight is an object if you're hauling around an 8x10?) I would get an Ampeg SVT Classic. But that's just me...and many like-minded folks.

You might consider a separate preamp and power amp. There are many very nice-sounding tube and solid state preamps to be had, and then you can add as much Crown/QSC/Crest/whatever solid state power amp to get all the power you need, more power than you need, WAY more power than you need, etc...

4. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    SVT 6 will give you enough to handle it

5. 12AX7

12AX7

Sep 25, 2008
    Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions, I appreciate it. I understand that there is no "correct" head to use with an 8x10, I guess what I should have asked is this: can someone tell me the range of wattage I should be focusing on for this type of cabinet? In other words, is there a range of power that I should not go under or over if I want to don't want to risk under or overpowering the cabinet?

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you have more amp power than the cabinet will take, that's why you have a volume control. Use it wisely.

Also, most cabs will begin to fart out long before the speakers are in danger of burning out from too much power. When you hear this happen, you have to turn down.

As for minimum wattage, you can use as little as you want. A small amp will simply run out of volume earlier.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The classic matchups are either a GK1001RB/2001RB, an SVT-2/CL/VR tube head, or an SVT-4Pro (running bridged at 4 ohms mono -- not dual 8 ohm stereo). The SVT-8 Pro also looks great. I also like SWR heads with ampeg cabs (like an SM-900 bridged), but that is a more unusual match.

8. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    If you want lots of power to drive the cab and have some leftover wattage as head room, you can't go wrong with a preamp/power amp setup. You can bridge most any power amp for lots of wattage, and you can find them pretty cheap. I did some research and found I got more watts per $$$ by going this route, and I'm happy I did. Just shop around a bit, and make sure you get a preamp that you like, there are lots to choose from.

9. SVT-2pro.

thats what everybody else uses for metal who have the money to afford it. (See: gui****s + Mesa Triple Recs)

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Buy a Markbass Little Mark II.
    Then put the amp in one hand and the cabinet in the other and juggle them. :rolleyes:
    But seriously, I like the idea of a preamp/power amp combination (Ampeg/QSC, maybe) or else a GK 1001RBII or 700RBII.

11. I can see a visually hilarious loss of balance resulting from that.

here's what you do.

STEP ONE: Buy a QSC poweramp that puts out 800 watts at 8ohms per side
    STEP TWO: Buy a Sansamp
    STEP THREE: Buy another Ampeg 8x10
    STEP FOUR:
    STEP FIVE: Profit.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
  13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I respectfully disagree. Many (including me) have found the B2RE to be significantly underpowered. The OP seems to be concerned with getting enough power - and volume. If so, I would not advise him to buy a B2RE. IMHO.

14. +1

15. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    +2, the b2r, while a decent enough sounding amp (a little sterile, but I realize I like tube pre-amps) is not going to have the balls to push that 8x10.

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    You really can't go wrong with the SVTII or a vintage SVT IMO. Classic is nice, too, but prefer the others.

An Eden WT800 is a delightful match; I used my WT550 with my 810 before I sold it the cab, and it sounded fine but the WT800 bridged opened the cab up much better.

17. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    An Ampeg SVT-CL would work nicely.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    My basic philosophy is a bass amp is just for stage volume and the PA should do the work of filling up the room with low end.

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Ric5,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Like most of the bars and clubs I play in, who have rudimentary PAs with no subs, for example.

Hence my large cabs and apologies to the Bard.

20. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    SVT (tube) - duh!