1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about K&K Pickups and Misc.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Farin, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok, so I have this problem. A while ago, I bought a K&K Bass Max pickup for my plywood bass. Well, I just got a new Sam Shen hand carved, and I put it on it, and it seems to have lost alot of its bottem end/growl/volume. I was wondering, would an EQ help? Should I get the Golden Trinity mic set? Should I try the realist? Im looking for a very growly jazz sound. Something on the lines of Christian McBride. Hum... I know youve probablem seen a thousand posts like this. sorry... let me know. :)

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Does the Shen sound "growly" acoustically?

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    it seems simple, but make sure the pickup is snugly fit in the bridge wing. any time mine would be the slightest bit loose, the sound would stink. it shouldn't be absurdly tight, but just snug. also, the mic won't get more growl unless the bass itself is growly. the mic picks up whatever your fingers and the bass produce... no more, no less.

4. I forgot to re adjust the preamp on my pickup when I put my pickups on my new bass, and hence, it didnt sound nearly as good. Don't know if your using a preamp. just a thought..

5. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Yeh, I am pretty impressed with Sam Shen Basses. It really does glow acoustically. I love it. If you are ever in Cinci, Ohio, go to the Cinci Bass Cellar. Heaven for Bassists, I swear... Heaven

6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    The recorded "McBride sound" is also in my head. I get truly great results with K&K's Bass Master Pro, which is a Bass Max and a Big Double Twin coupled to a simple preamp. See the pickup section of Bob Gullihor's site at www.urbbob.com for details. According to K&K, the Bass Max is best at the middle frequencies, not the low or top end. The Big Double Twin is supposedly better for the extremes. Whatever the case may be, I tried the Bass Max, Full Circle, Realist, and Schertler's best...but none sounded as natural, warm, detailed and accurate as the Bass Master Pro on my carved basses. Short of a mic, which I haven't yet tried due to my very loud drummer, the Bass Master Pro enables me to hear that "sound in my head". I'm not sure why its not mentioned more in these forums. Maybe if I ever try mics, I'll find out! But for my experience to date with piezo's, it's the real deal (and pretty cheap as well).

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Damn, Mac! I was looking at your profile and see that you have purchased 3 not-cheap basses in the last 3 years. Living in Miami, you wouldn't have a cigarette boat as well, would you?

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    My personal vice is fine basses. There's not enough money for more than that (and it's a struggle for that alone!) I reward myself with one if I complete a good year in business. I skimp bit time on everything else, but I just can't seem to do it with instruments. I should've have stayed slab - it was cheaper! I usually have to get a few and live with them before I really know what I want. I just can't seem to do that in a showroom. Then I'll eventually sell off what I don't use. The bottom line for me is, if you can get a millimeter closer to that sound in your head, it seems like its worth it. The feeling of having your voice interact with your bandmates and together, travel to that next level, is second to none...with the roster of greats you've played with, I'm sure you know what I mean.

9. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I don't know tho. Maybe I will try the Bass Max Pro. But for some reason, it just turns me off, it looks too much like the Fishman peizo model, and that was a horrible expirence for me. I can honestly say, the Fishman pickup made it louder, thats it.

10. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I did like my Fishman Full Circle's. I had several, but on the bass I was using, they would go a few months, then a piezo would crack and I'd have to send it back. Good sound, but not quite as detailed as the Bass Master Pro. This could be due to the added preamp however, but I never checked. Your playing, the bass, strings, pickup and amp all depend on each other and affect the sound. Experimenting on your bass over time, is the best way, but also the hardest to do. I think Bob Gullihor would allow for returns and he caries what you are looking for. You could probably work out getting 2 at the same time, doing the demo and returning the one you don't like. While it takes more effort, it's only a pickup so it's easy to do - not like trying to borrow 2 basses!

11. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Someone hire me a sound guy! Ayy, I guess it wouldnt be as fun then. How can something to frustrating but fun as well? Uhg. :p

12. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    What happens when a piezo cracks? Does the pick up just stop working?

I've heard horror stories about the wheels collapsing, causing the bridge to fall. You're not talking about that, are you?

I have a FC, and I don't want to get stranded without my bass on a gig!

Thanks.

13. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002

In my case, when the FC went bad, the bass lost a lot of its sound quality and some of its volume. Kind of like you turned down the bass and mid tone controls on your amp, or you lost your midrange and tweeter drivers. Not a good sound. But hard to find out where it was coming from as you still got much of your sound, just not a good version of it. I guess there are 2 crystals in the FC, and I cracked one only. This happened on two different FC's. I thought I was at fault on the first one, as it occured when I was experimenting with a percussive sound using a bow. But after that I was very careful, and it happened again. In retrospect, that Wilfer carved 3/4 had Sprirocore Weich's on it with the FC. I then changed to lower tension Corelli 370's, which made the bass come alive, like the Spirocore's were strangling the sound due to their high tension. But I didn't have the Corelli's on with the FC, so I don't know if that was why.

14. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I have Obligatos on mine right now which are lower tension than the Spiro's as well, and my Full Circle sounds big. At the moment I'm blending it with the Upton Bass Solo pick up and it's nice. The FC sounds a little electric at times, the Solo sounds more like a mic but gets boomy at loud volumes. Mixing them is working well.