1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about selling a car for salvage...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pflash4001, Apr 1, 2013.

1. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    So, I am in a financial funk...I need some cash pretty quickly and I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that had a piston sieze and break in a cylinder. The car has been sitting in my driveway for a bit over a year. It has never been wrecked. The body is in good shape, transmission is good, electical works, interior decent. It needs a new engine. The blue book value on this car in fair condition is just over $1800. What would a reasonable asking price be for a car like this for salvage. Forgive me if they're asinine questions, but I've never done this before and don't know just how to get this info without being ripped off. I appreciate all your insight on this. Thanks guys. I've found that you guys can be a source of info on lots of different topics. I appreciate your help.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    If it is in nice shape & the interior is good I would say $750-900

How's the tires?

3. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    The tires are relatively new (about 8 months old) but have been sitting in the driveway for a while. Thanks for the reply.

4. $300 if you are lucky.

lowsound

5. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I just scrapped a 96 pathfinder for $475. They came up with that number from the vehicle weight, aluminum rims, and an intact catalytic convertor.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's worth what you can get - I'd put it on Craigslist and advertise it as needing an engine. Ask $800 OBO - buyer tows it off your property immediately...what do you have to lose? Someone out there probably has an engine in a rolled or rear-ended truck.

7. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks for the info, guys...

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Call around and see what they're paying. Go to the truck forums and look for a classifieds section. Someone in a place where vehicles rot from road salt and Winter are always looking for clean bodies and frames. If you want to sell it off as parts, you'll probably have to store it out of public sight but you will come out ahead in the long run.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    11 years old and it needs an engine..... I'm with lowsound at $300.

10. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Thanks again, guys...

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You'd probably get more if you parted it out but that would take more time.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like this idea.

There is a guy in my building who would buy that in a minute, throw an engine in it and turn around and sell it for a nice profit. He makes nice money buying and selling cars entirely on Craigslist.

13. Asses the value of the car as if it was running fine (value A), then get a quote for the cost of replacing the engine (parts plus labor etc.), (value B). Subtract value B from A (value C) and that will tell you where to start. The only thing is, why would somebody buy that car and then pay to have the engine replaced when they could just buy the same make and model somewhere else already running for the same total amount? This is why you then need to come down a few (or possibly several) hundred dollars from value C. Your best option is to sell to someone as a mechanics special, someone who already has a motor for it or has more time than money and is willing to find one swap parts R/R etc. Sometimes the value of having a quick easy sale and a giant boat anchor removed from your life is worth taking the hit on your sale price. My two cents...

14. whyseye

whyseye

Mar 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Had a salvage yard give me $500 for a 99 Saturn SL2 with a blown engine, and they towed it away. Felt like a win.

15. Yeah I'm afraid you're not gonna like what you hear from a salvage yard.

I just got in a fender bender with a truck hitch so the front end of my 2000 Toyota solara was totaled. I got 300 for the car and everything about the car was in great shape besides the front end. It even has brand spankin new tires worth $600. They just see it as another car, doesn't matter how good it looks or what it's got underneath.

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    We're dealing with an 02 Durango, not a 67 Chevelle. By the time you subtract B from A you're going to be close to zero or maybe even negative.

17. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Are there any recycling incentive for older cars in your state ?
    I sent a 96 accord to a registered scrap yard and the provincial gov gave me a year worth of public transportation passes (worth around 1200$) plus a tax deductible receipt. I could have chosen between a few hundred bucks, a large discount on a bicycle or on a new car...
    Maybe there's a program like that in your area for 10 years old and up cars.

18. are you trying to scrap it or sell it?

if you're going to scrap it you need to remove the catalytic converter, the radiator, and if the rims are aluminum remove them too. You'll be payed for scrap steel if you bring a car to the junk yard, aluminum rims and a radiator should be taken in as aluminum. a catalytic converter has platinum in it. that's why there is big business in stealing these things.

if you're just trying to outright sell the thing. 300 bucks.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You could possibly get more than that.
    I got $900 for a 2004 Saturn with a broken trans and cosmetic damage.

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Around my area, cars like yours scrap out for 300-400 dollars. Just pick a scrap yard out of the phone book and they'll come and haul it away. If you think you can sell the wheels and tires for more than $150 then take them off the vehicle and tell the scrapyard it doesn't have wheels. They'll give you about $100 less, but it won't affect them hauling the vehicle away on the flatbed wrecker truck.

Alternatively, see if there is a Durango enthusiast online forum. Become a member and put an ad in their classified section selling the car as-is with a blown engine. It's hit or miss but you might get lucky and find someone who really wants it and might give you a bit more than the scrap yard.