Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions for SX modifications....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ElBajista, Jan 29, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Alright, after selling my 810 I'm finally getting around to modifying my SX '75 Jazz. I plan on replacing almost everything, and thus I have a few questions:

1. Wiring. What kind of wire should I use? I found This "Poly" Wire(upper left corner) and I was wondering if there is any real difference between that wire and the same 22 gauge stranded wire one can buy from RadioShack. Also, is there any difference between the "Poly" wire and the Vintage Cloth wire, besides the coating? Which would be best for what I have in mind?

2. Output Jack. I found this SwitchCraft jack, (upper right hand corner) and I noticed that they have both a regular model and a "long" model. Which would be better for a standard Jazz control plate jack? Also, I should get a mono jack, right?

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    1. Poly just refers to the insulation. For instruments, it doesn't really matter. I'd be more interested to know if it's solid or stranded. Most people will tell you to use stranded... I greatly prefer solid.

2. The short one is fine, and a mono jack will do.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What is the difference between stranded and solid wire? why do you prefer solid?

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Stranded means that the conductor is actually made up of many fine strands of wire. Solid is just that... one solid conductor. I prefer solid core wire because it stays in place when you bend it, and it's (slightly) easier strip and solder. On the other hand, stranded wire is less likely to break due to fatigue.