1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions... help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kingskippy2001, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    I am pretty new to all of this. I am wonderning about ohms and cabs. My funds limit me... I am looking to get an Avatar cab. I am thinking about a B210 NEO now and adding a B212 NEO or (2) B110 in a couple of months. I don't understand ohms. What kind of amp do I need? How many Ohms? I am looking into a GK amp, but what ohms does it need? Why does the power change compaired to ohms? How many watts do these cabs need?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why not just ask the question here? Much better chance of getting a good answer.

3. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Updated info to help you all help me! :)

4. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Any help?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're asking a lot of general questions and looking for specific responses. I'll try to answer a little, but don't expect miracles.

Speaker impedance is the average resistance a speaker gives to an amp. Think of it like a hose...unkinked, a water hose lets water run freely. Put a bend in it and some water will come out but it will have some resistance. The higher the number, the more resistance it gives an amp, and the less power that comes out of the amp as a result (this is for solid state only...tube amps have a way of dealing with different impedances called an output transformer). The higher the number, the more resistance.

Someone else can take over from here...I have to go to the bathroom ;)

6. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    So if I I get 2 cabs they need to be 8 Ohms, so when they hook into an amp they are equal to 4 ohms? Then what power of amp should I get if the b210 is 500 watts rms and the b212 is 500 watts rms, I should look for an amp that is atleast 500-800 watts?? Sorry to anyone if I seem a little or ALOT stupid, I am used to a crete 1x15 combo. I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can make a wise purchase. Thanks to all of you for the patiance and help.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have the impedance thing right...8 + 8 = 4 ohms.

But if you get cabs with 500w of power handling, you certainly don't need 1000w to power them correctly. It's fun to have 1000w, but I've been playing for over 30 years professionally, and played in some very loud bands, and did the majority of it on a 100w amp into an 810. I think 300w is a very comfortable amount of wattage for the vast majority of gigs, and if you have a 210 and 212, that will put out a goodly amount of bass signal. My highest wattage amp now does 500w at 4 ohms, and if I've ever used 50w worth of its available power, I'd be surprised. If you're playing an arena, it's cool to have 1000w, but the truth is that very few bassists will ever use anywhere close to the full 1000. Yeah, once in a great while it's good to have 1000w if you're at a large outdoor event and there's no PA to run the bass through. Otherwise, a 300-500 amp will easily do the trick for your biggest gigs, and you'll use way less than that on most gigs, unless you play metal.

8. Kingskippy2001

Kingskippy2001

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    THANK YOU JimmyM, you are awesome! Thanks.