Quick/easy change octave up to octave down pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by acid bass, Mar 22, 2018.

1. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I'm in a bit of a weird situation here that I need help with. I've been playing bass forever but have only recently begun dabbling in pedals. I'm growing familiar with the MXR talkbox and now my band wants to do 24K Magic. Thing is, since I have the talkbox they want me to do the recorded intro to the song, which I can't do on my bass because I can't get high enough register. I need a sub-octave for the main bass part anyways so I've been looking at octave up/octave down pedals and the concensus around here seems to be that the Digitech Whammy and EHX Pitchfork are excellent for both.

Where my problem comes in is that I need to be able to switch from octave up to octave down within a few seconds and that's where I need help. The Whammy looks like I can set it to octave up/toe down octave down/heel down, which is great. It seems I can do something similar with the Pitchfork by adjusting the latch so when it's down I'm in the up octave, then when I step off it's down octave. I prefer the size of the Pitchfork, but if the Whammy is more reliable or handles that type of thing better I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing it.

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I don't think the whammy has a 100% wet +oct to -oct setting. It'll mix in the dry ~50%.

acid bass likes this.
  3. acid bass

Apr 2, 2010
    Ooo, really? That's not a problem on the sub-octave, but I don't want that in the up-octave. I'll have to look into that, it would make my decision for me if true. Thanks!

4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    EHX will do both but you gotta flip the switch by hand on the pedal itself.

5. acid bass

Apr 2, 2010
    You mean the up/dual/down switch, yes? I was thinking I wanna do the talkbox intro with only the up octave, no blend. Instead of switching to down octave for the rest of the song I can just play in a lower register and keep it on up octave. But I'd want a blend for the verses. Would that be something I could program through the latch function or would I need to turn the blend to 0 for the intro then bring it up for the rest of the song?

6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    If I think I know what you’re saying then yes. Perhaps you could split the signal and get a line selector of sorts with level blending. Like a Boss LS2.

acid bass likes this.
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Check it out in person, but whammy 4 and 5 I think both have, among other settings, 100% wet normal to +oct, 100% wet normal to -oct, and 50/50 wet/dry -oct to +oct. W4 also had a dry out, but plugging into it didn't change anything about the wet out. W5 sounds less glitchy. Dang, now I miss my whammy.

saltydude likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021