1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Help: Speaker / Positive? - Negative?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnfitz44, Jan 7, 2008.

1. johnfitz44

johnfitz44

Nov 27, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnandnancy/2176174998/

Bought this 10" speaker off of musicman7722 (thanks!). It's an avatar neo 10" (modded eminence I believe). Anyway, I can't figure out which side of this speaker is positive and which is negative? There is what might be a slight "- -" marking and solder on the right hand speaker terminals (see picture). Does this signify the negative terminal? Looks pretty good in the picture. To the naked eye it's a little less apparent.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The red marked one is +.

3. Hi.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but Passinwind beat me to it ;).

If still in doubt, the 9V battery test will tell for sure.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

4. johnfitz44

johnfitz44

Nov 27, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    I knew it would be a quick dumb question. To be honest I wasn't even seeing the red. Just the solder. Perhaps it's time for a color blind test. FWIW I tried the 9 volt test and couldn't seem to get a connection either way to bump the speaker. For the future, do you put the positive side of a 9 volt to the speaker wire or the terminal?

5. Hi.

While the test can be perfomed to the bare terminals, it's more convinient to have short leads connected to them. To do the test, You just touch the battery terminals with the wires and when the cone moves outwards the wire that was connected to the + of the battery is speaker + and the other that was connected to - of the battery is speaker -.

Not a dumb question IMO/IME, You'd be surprised of the amount of "Did it myself, (beats his chest)" cab repairs where the polarity is an issue and the result is two or more cabs (or drivers) out of phase. Including small scale PA, specially when dealing with power amps with banana-terminals.

Hope this helps.
    Sam