Quick impedance question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Sep 27, 2003.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey all!

I was just wondering if running an amp at 2 ohms is much worse for the amp than running it at 4 ohms?

For instance, my SVT-4 Pro has two separate power amp channels that require a minimum impedance of 2 ohms each. This would give me 600 watts per amp at 2 ohms. I have two 4 ohm cabs and I am currently running them each off of a separate power amp channel. This gives me two cabs, each recieving 490 watts at 4 ohms. I was thinking of running both cabs in parallel off of the same power amp channel to give myself some more headroom (600 watts vs. 490 watts currently), but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea. I know it says it can run at 2 ohms... but just because something can be done, doesn't always mean it should.

Unfortunately I cannot run the amp mono-bridged because I believe it requires a 4 ohm minimum impedance... which is lousy because 1200 watts would be more than enough headroom. :D

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions or has had any experience with this your input would be greatly appreciated!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you connect both cabinets to one channel and it produces 600 watts, each cabinet is getting 300 watts rather than the 490 that each was receiving when running two channels...seems as though you're moving in the opposite direction than what you want.

Running a solid state amp at 2 ohms will cause it to run hotter as it will have to supply more current.

You're better off connecting each cabinet to its own power amp channel.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you run one cab off each side, you're getting 980 watts (490 X 2). Why would you want to trade that for 600 W, especially when doing so would require working in a mode that's more stressful for the amp?