Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick question about EUB's

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by 20one, Sep 28, 2005.

1. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Hey folks, I'm usually trolling the bass guitar forums but I've recently been thinking about purchasing a EUB for some upcoming projects I have planned.. just have two questions:

1. How is the overall down in comparison to a real upright bass

2. Can they be played with a bow or are they used strictly for pizz

Thx in advance...

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    For a good one, the price is comparable with a plywood acoustic, more or less.
    I'd say the majority can be bowed. (the fingerboard must have a correct radius)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

EUBs are not cheap - but for BG players, it is worth bearing in mind that they are what I like to think of as "Plug and Play"!! ;)

So - you buy an EUB and you can plug it into your amp and off you go - play a gig that night!!

Whereas with real DBs there is a lot of fiddling about to do - getting it set up to suit you and then getting it amplified - all of which will cost you extra money over what you paid for it!

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The answer varies with the EUB at hand. Most travel along the line between Fretless Bass Guitar and Double Bass, many are much closer relatives to bass guitars, the only difference being that they are intended for play in an upright position. That doesn't make it an Upright Bass, just a bass that is upright. :rolleyes: Many have flat fingerboards or an insufficient arch to make bowing practical or possible.

There are examples that serve better as a double bass substitute, but many more that do not. I think you'll find discussions here and elsewhere that reveal which are which.

5. I'm not sure what you mean by that one -- could you clarify? Perhaps we can provide more responses.