1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

quick question. buying strings, which website??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Apr 21, 2009.

1. am going to buying strings in a hurry. continental USA. which website would offer me the widest variety, reliable and if possible free shipping?
    am sorry if this has been done before, i tried searching though:ninja:

2. Hutch1

Hutch1

Mar 19, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    www.juststrings.com has a very good selection and decent prices. But I believe they do charge for shipping.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I don't really care for just strings anymore. They had some strings that were backordered and didn't give me the option of buying something else, just shipped me the strings 6 weeks later. No biggy, I guess, but it was annoying.

There are a few that do nothing but bass strings that I like better.

http://www.bassemporium.com/ These guys do the typical free shipping over $100 routine, but if you just buy a set or two, they ship USPS and it's pretty cheap. You don't have to worry about Billybob with the local FEDEX ground route losing them.

The Perfect Bass has a 15% discount deal if you put Talk Bass into the promo box. I found Bass Emporium cheaper anyway, at least for what I buy.

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  5. the thing is my friend would get them for me from the US to India. if the shipping gets delayed i'd end up paying my money and not getting the strings

6. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  8. thanks guys

9. Carvin has pretty good deals.

Free shipping - I'm unaware of a way to have the post office do anything for free.

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Free shipping doesn't mean that the shipping service provider is giving them free service just because it's a large order/package. Instead, the seller is giving you free shipping because of the amount that you have ordered, or the total amount of money that you have spent. It's a common sales tactic to get you to buy more than you usually would. Sure, it cuts out some of the profits from their sale, but it keeps you coming back and making larger orders which in the long run makes them more money than not offering the free shipping in the first place.

Personally, I have had good results buying things from The Perfect Bass, Just Strings, and the Bass Emporium.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  12. dexter3d

dexter3d

Jul 4, 2005
    Lithuania
    What about European websites? Are there any good ones apart from lordofthestrings.com and stringsdirect.co.uk?

13. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I've had good luck with Big City Strings.

14. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
  15. 12bars

12bars

Sep 1, 2011
    I had a relatively bad experience with Lordofthestrings.

I ordered two sets of LABELLA flatwound one being nylon taped.

None of the sets were sealed

One set arrived with short scale (hofner bass) and the other set was also too short for may Takamine B10. I did not mount the strings only measured the length from ball to silk of the E string

I returned both sets on my own expense one week ago and I got a refund only for the Short scale one (because they made a shipping mistake)

I am stil asking for a complete refund but have no answer.

Maybe I'll get one in the next days.

The result is that I payed for one set of Labella 760 FL worth around 45€ plus 6.5€ for return shipping and I have nothing.

So if I do not get refunded at least of the string set I'll consider that making business with them is not interesting

On the other hand I found a set of rotosound extra long scale TRUBASS at Stringssdirect and it was perfect. On stringsdirect website the length of the string from ball to silk was perfectly indicated.

From this experience I recommend Stringsdirect.co.uk