1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick question.. help please =)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Derek_L, Apr 18, 2009.

1. So I have a warwick profet 5.1 which is 500w @ 4ohm

I want to run two 8ohm cabs, do they both have to be 500w?

cheers.
    (and yes, I have searched and read the FAQ many times and am having a lot of trouble understanding, so pardon the stupidity)

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Derek_L.

If you never run your amp's power amp into clipping (distortion), then you won't need 500 watt cabs.

However, it's good to have cabs whose speakers can handle far more power than the amp which is used with them can put out so that they won't have to work as hard.

3. cadet

cadet

Aug 12, 2008
    Eugene, OR
    You don't need two 500w cabs... if you're running two 8ohm cabs on a total of 500w, then each cab will get 250w. Even if one is a 250w cab and the other is 500w, you'll still be sending 250w to each.

4. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you combine two 8ohm cabs that will give you a 4 ohm load. Your amp is rated 500 watts @ 4 ohms so that means that each cab in that situation would be sharing the available capacity of 500 watts... so technically the most that each cab should be getting is about 250watts at full output on the amp.

I've personally always gone the route of a higher powered amp knowing that I just cannot push it to max. A few years ago, when I could lift more, I had a rig with a separate pre-amp and power amp, the power amp's real output was 700watts each channel at 4ohms. I had connected to it two 4 ohm cabs that could handle 400 watts each. I technically had way too much power for the cabs but never blew anything, but that setup made so much volume that I'd probably be completely deaf if I were to get to push it to full power. I went this route so that I wouldn't have to push the amp as hard in louder volume situations. A few years and a shoulder surgery later and I would say that it was a bit overkill... small light things attract me now over raw power.