Quick Question regarding ohmage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Ok...I am about to buy a BX3000T Ultrabass 300W Bass Head and an Avatar Cab.

Now...i duno what ohms the head is rated at. What do you suggest I get 4 ohm or 8ohm(cab) ? I am guessing it's 4 ohm...but if thats the case,at what watts does it run in 8ohms?

this seems confusiing,thanks for your help
  2. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    The word ohmage does not exist, its called impedence but anyway i knew what you meant.

The BX3000T is rated at 4ohms so if you get an 8ohm cab you will get about 180watts out of it at least, probably more like 200watts. If you get a 4ohm cab it will run the full 300watts but it really doesnt make a difference because of the way sound levels opperate. The 4 ohm cab will only give a difference of about 1 or 2 decibels so it wont be very noticeable. So id say get the 8ohm cab, there is much better choice out there for 8ohm cabs as opposed to 4ohm cabs unless you are willing to spend a lot of money.
  3. so get the 8ohm cab incase I wanna add another cab later?
    if she's only gonna bump up 1-2 decibels ima just run with the 8ohm

thanks alot for your help
  4. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    yeas exactly, if you want another cab it is very easy to add it then, no need to sell one cab and buy 2 new cabs. so definitely get the 8ohm cab.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    As others have written, 8 ohms is the way to go. You'll gain a greater volume increase by running two 8 ohm cabinets than by using one 4 ohm cabinet (assuming of course that they're all of the same sensitivity).

In another thread, Brian Rost wrote that in his experience it takes 4 times the power to make a noticable volume difference.
  6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Pay ohmage to the extra cab idea...... :eyebrow:
  7. Sorry