1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick questions about string spacing.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CptanPanic, Apr 20, 2009.

1. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    I am designing my guitar, and have a question about string spacing. It is a 5 string with similar dimensions to J-Bass. So I have their neck at 1.875", but what is the width at the bridge? Also how much should I leave between strings and edge of fretboard?
    Thanks
    CP

2. If the nut is a J bass why not make the bridge the same? As far a spacing, some try to make the center to center the same and some make the distance from string edge to edge the same. Personally I don't care, when you allow for good neck edge where the strings don't slide off, the rest of the strings pretty much take care of themselves

3. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    Yes I want to use same bridge size as j-bass. But what size is it?

4. Have a look on the Warmoth site, I think they have the Fender dimensions.

5. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Rather than designing around theoretical sizes. Decide on what bridge you want to use and find out what string spacing that bridge uses :)

6. +10000

The very first piece of hardware you should buy is the bridge - ideally you should have it in hand before you start cutting wood (or at least have accurate dimensions) and then don't change your mind on it mid-build. Everything depends on the bridge - neck taper, fretboard height above the body, neck angle, depth of pickup routs, etc.

7. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    The problem with this is the pickups have to match the spacing of the bridge. I already have J-Bass pickups, and want to know what size bridge I need to fit the spacing of the pickups.

8. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    19MM

9. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks.

10. I think you are going about this in reverse. If you are using a standard size Jazz neck, then get a Jazz bridge. It will have side to side string slots to position the stings properly. Then use pickups of the proper size. The pup poles need to align correctly under the strings and the pickup placement in the body must allow that also. My best advise is to totally assemble the bass before doing any wood finishing. If all is correct, then disassemble and to your finishing.
    Rocky

11. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    I do not have a neck or body. It only partially exists in sketchup.

12. I think you can search the internet and find a Fender factory Jazz drawing with all dimensions. My suggestion is make it to Jazz specs.