Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Surgeon, Apr 27, 2005.

1. I'm in a cover band, and we just started covering a few heavier songs wherein there is some bass distortion. So after reading several reviews here on TB and carefully evaluating my pocketbook I ordered up an Ibanez PD-7 bass distortion pedal.

I check the manual and it says to run instrument cable to the pedal and then run to my amp. My questions are these: Can the pedal be run through the effects loop on my amp instead of inbetween my bass and the amp? If not, what effects would one connect to the effects loop and how would one know this? Is there a difference in the quality of the distortion if it is placed before or after the EQ on my bass head?

Just got my first non-combo bass rig, and this will be my first pedal and I really don't want to string things together wrong and hurt something.

Thanks for any help--sorry if the questions are a bit newbish.

Mike

2. devo

devo

Apr 26, 2005
    although i have never used the effects loop on an amp they are usualy used for very common effects E.G reverb.....ones that you may run all the time. but as for your question i dont see a problem in runing your fx peddle through it (unless it has XLR in/out). as for pre/post eq i think that either way you set it up it will be per eq.

DISSCLAMER:if it broke it wasnt me...

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Generally speaking you don't want to run pedals in your effects loop. The reason being is that effects loops send, and expect to recieve, a line level signal, pedals on the other hand deal with instument level. However you probobly won't hurt anything, but it is going to drive that Ibanez pretty hard and you may not find the results desireable. I know when I put my DOD 250 in my effects loop is was way too much.

Like I said effects loops are usually operating at line level, and so the gear that you would use in the loop would operate at line level, such as most rack gear, reverbs and other time based effects. Dynamic effects such as Eq and Compression can be used as well, but if there is a send knob be sure to send all of your signal to such a device, not just some.

Hope this helps.

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I can be done, but you wouldn"t have the possibility of modifying the tone with your EQ, which would maybe be kind of unconveniant. I wouldn't do this, I need my EQ to set my tone as I want after the distortion.

5. Thanks for the input. I'll hook 'er up tomorrow and have my lawyers contact devo if anything goes wrong! :D

Sounds like I'll just run to pedal and then amp like the brochure said.

Thanks again.