1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Tempo Chord Changes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Already In Use, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I'm working with a country guitar player that ups the tempo of most all his cover tunes. To play typical 1-5 thumps at the speeds he plays doesnt sound well. Like bluegrass on steroids. What are suggested methods of covering very quick chord changes while maintaining a sensible rhythm? I've been playing root, 3rds and a triad to return to the root of the next chord. Its like time is compressed and I run out of it to cover all the chords in a given measure. Thanks.:bassist:

2. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    On quick tempo, standard 1-5, 1-3-5-3 combinations may sound dull or boring. You can apply a more linear approach by playing more scale notes so your bassline is not just repeating triad patterns.

3. As Country, in my neck of the woods, is roots and fives. Anything else is stretching the norm. That being said.

I'd suggest dropping the 5 and playing only roots on the fast ones. See if that works. Instead of playing 1/4 notes play 1/8 notes.

Very quick chord changes - like two per measure - you normally only have two beats per chord. Just roots - one or two up to you.

On the fast ones I normally hang on and dumb it down. Be interesting what responses you get here.

4. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Just checking this angle: how much has he heard himself? Playing at those tempos is usually not as musical for the listener....

5. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Quote "I'd suggest dropping the 5 and playing only roots on the fast ones. See if that works. Instead of playing 1/4 notes play 1/8 notes. Very quick chord changes - like two per measure - you normally only have two beats per chord. Just roots - one or two up to you. On the fast ones I normally hang on and dumb it down. Be interesting what responses you get here."

That's exactly what I'd do too. Otherwise, the bass line will sound too busy. If your country guy complains that it sounds too much like rock...tell him that the other kind of lines don't work well at rock tempos. Just in case he insists though, I'd do some wood shedding on the progressions with a metronome--to get them up to shred speeds, even if they don't sound right to you.

6. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I agree with that as some songs sort have a signature feel at the original artists tempo///but thats all for another topic! That feel is lost with the change.

7. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Thats good advice...I'll try that next time we play...as always..Thanks!