Quiet B String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by finn74, Jun 1, 2004.

1. finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    The B string on my MIA Deluxe 5 seems to have less output of volume as compared to the other strings. Is there anything I can do to compensate for the lack of volume. I've already adjusted the pick ups a little however I dont hear any improvement. Is this what is meant by a weak B string?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It may be that your B string isn't centered over the poles in the pickup.

Here's a little test, (someone else may have a better way to do this), - take a ferrous object (in other words, something that contains a lot of iron), like a metal paper clip. Run it over your pickup area where the B string would normally be and see where the area of strongest magnetism is.

If that area of strong, magnetic, pull and the area where your B string normally falls are clearly different, your pickup is probably only "picking up" the "signal/info" that your B string is giving it at the furthest edge of it's vibration. In other words, your pickup may be only be "seeing" just some of the vibration of the B string because it travels outside what the narrow vibrational travel that the pickup can "see."

That's one of the reasons I was happy to get a bridge that can be adjusted to center the strings over a pickup's poles.

If you aren't intimidated by very techie info about such things, (as I am), you might give this place a look - http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/index.html#vibratingstring

Other than that, make sure your B string's saddle is adjusted to where the B string can vibrate/travel pretty well. We all like a taut B, but those babies do need some room to roam.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL