1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quiet B String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by finn74, Jun 1, 2004.

1. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    The B string on my MIA Deluxe 5 seems to have less output of volume as compared to the other strings. Is there anything I can do to compensate for the lack of volume. I've already adjusted the pick ups a little however I dont hear any improvement. Is this what is meant by a weak B string?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It may be that your B string isn't centered over the poles in the pickup.

Here's a little test, (someone else may have a better way to do this), - take a ferrous object (in other words, something that contains a lot of iron), like a metal paper clip. Run it over your pickup area where the B string would normally be and see where the area of strongest magnetism is.

If that area of strong, magnetic, pull and the area where your B string normally falls are clearly different, your pickup is probably only "picking up" the "signal/info" that your B string is giving it at the furthest edge of it's vibration. In other words, your pickup may be only be "seeing" just some of the vibration of the B string because it travels outside what the narrow vibrational travel that the pickup can "see."

That's one of the reasons I was happy to get a bridge that can be adjusted to center the strings over a pickup's poles.

If you aren't intimidated by very techie info about such things, (as I am), you might give this place a look - http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/index.html#vibratingstring

Other than that, make sure your B string's saddle is adjusted to where the B string can vibrate/travel pretty well. We all like a taut B, but those babies do need some room to roam.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Setup.