Quincy Jones On Paul McCartney / Beatles

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by scottrolf, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottrolf

scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    Quincy Jones has always been pretty vocal about his opinion of The Beatles individually as “musicians” which is far less than flattering. Also stating that McCartney “doesn’t know sh#t about the bass”.
    Granted he’s no Jaco, but I never thought he was all that bad.
    I’m curious about TB’s take on PM as a bass player.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    His eyebrows are too high up for bass face.

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
  4. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Also, Quincy said a lot of crap. Some of it might even have some merit, but he dished a lot of crap in that interview.

shodan likes this.
  5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    pudgychef and lz4005 like this.
  6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    IMO his statement has no merit, it sounds like sour grapes or personal issues. He has since come out and said he regretted some of them; which, I don't know or care. He's nobody in my music world.

Liam Wald, Aqualung60 and theduke1 like this.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    The other thread has about 50 pages of takes on it :D

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hes a zero in my life. Negative people like him make me blank such people out of my life. With all his succees youd think he would not speak about others like in this interview

Liam Wald, Todd Hamby and KillerEddie like this.
  9. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Peeps like to dump on Paul and Ringo. I hear it has really upset them to the point where they’ve lost confidence and doubt they’ll ever succeed. ;)

10. scottrolf

scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    Yikes!
    Didn’t realize this has been covered before.

I do however, think he excelled as a song writer.
    One of my favorites is Penny Lane.
    If you Wiki that song you’ll come to realize it’s more complex than how it appears on the surface.
    And of course without George Martin, we’ll...........

11. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

PM is more than formidable, he always seems to make the ding better.

Quincy, needs to hike his pants up to his nipples and should be elected President of the "You kids get off my lawn club".

I always like Q, though he seems to have acquired some odd thoughts along with thinking he needs to express them.

12. Saw something a couple days ago (I think on MSNBC maybe) about Quincy's 6 daughters doing an intervention on him after this and other negative interviews. He apologized and stated he hadn't been quite right lately. I'll see if I can find the article and post a link.

Levin likes this.
  13. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    I've enjoyed PM's music much more than QJ's during my lifetime.
    I've purchase way more PM related music than QJ related music.

pbass2 and bassstation like this.
  14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    QJ's daughters are all lovely souls but they should encourage Q to say more, not less. He was just getting started and there were no lies in anything he said. Extremely offensively opinionated but no lies. Ask Paul if he agreed with Q and I bet he would (knowing QJ's background in jazz, real session musicians and such) You're supposed to honor the national treasure even if you don't have the perspective to understand where he's coming from.

15. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    No lies? You're as nutty as him....

16. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Who or what is this going to judge if a bassist is good or bad? Exactly. The band and nothing but the band.
    Rock & roll died the minute producers invented themselves. Crawl back under your rock and be silent Quinsy.

Phud likes this.
  17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Regardless of what "side" you feel you need take, I felt Quincy's candidness to be refreshing in our age of political correctness and participation trophies.

When interesting people are interviewed these days, it unfortunately has a tendency to end up being a lovefest of underhand tosses (take David Letterman's current show on Netflix as a prime example of this). Regardless of Quincy's personal condition or state of mind at the time and regardless of where you stand on his statements, he gave a fascinating interview. But, as it usually goes in today's world, people got their feelings hurt and it ends with Quincy making a public apology and looking like a horrible person.

Not everyone in life is happy-go-lucky and charming... and everyone doesn't have to love everyone else. Many times on this planet, fantastic things are the byproduct of people being spiteful and tearing others down. If you're unhappy knowing how the sausage is made (especially in the entertainment business), don't read what bold, candid people like Quincy Jones have to say because it may make you uncomfortable.

scottrolf and svlilioukalani like this.
  18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It's not a matter of him being right or wrong or agreeing or disagreeing. It's matter of having some class. Some people who have accomplished much can't seem to muster it.

joebar, EdO., Mannyinnewyork and 6 others like this.
  19. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    i’m still processing quincy’s claim that marlon brando shtooped richard pryor

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.