Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R&B

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by johnm0187, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Just looking for some old school R&B songs to get off I-tunes. I've been digging it recently so help me out some.

John

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have $25 worth of freebies to dwonload...so I've been scrambling, too.

I was looking for "The Name Game", "Backfield In Motion", & "Groove Me"(by King Floyd)...none of those are 'available' at the site I was hitting.
    I did end up with-
    "Summer Breeze" by The Isley Brothers...I had not heard this version in years; it cooks,
    "I Love Music" by The O'Jays
    And, don't laugh..."One Bad Apple" by The Osmonds. Joe Chemay was in a recent Bass Player, a few bars were charted out & I wanted to hear this tune again(without actually buying an album), ;)
    Geez, Chemay is cookin' on this early '70s Bubblegum hit; it's almost a cross between Jamerson & Jaco!

Anyway, for you, look into old Skool stuff by-
    Sly & The Family Stone("Sing A Simple Song", "I Want To Take You Higher", "Thank You", etc)
    Ohio Players("Fire", "Skin Tight", etc)
    Brick("Dazz", "Dusic", "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody", "We Don't Wanna Sit Down, We Wanna Git Down", etc)
    Rose Royce("Car Wash", "Love Don't Live Here Anymore", etc)
    A Taste Of Honey("Boogie Oogie Oogie")
    Heatwave("Boogie Nights", "The Groove Line", "Party Poops", etc)
    Con Funk Shun("Ffun", "Shake & Dance With Me", etc)
    KC & The Sunshine Band("Get Down Tonight", "Shake, Shake, Shake", etc)
    Bee Gees("You Should Be Dancin'").
    Kool & The Gang("Jungle Boogie", "Hollywood Swinging", etc)
    Stevie Wonder("I Wish", "Sir Duke", "Superstition", etc).
    The O'Jays("For The Love Of Money", "Love Train", etc)
    Rufus("Tell Me Someting Good", "Once You Get Started", etc)
    The Jackson 5(or The Jacksons)-"The Love You Save", "ABC", "I Want You Back", "Darling Dear", Don't Blame It On The Boogie", "Heartbreak Hotel", etc).

Etc, etc, etc

3. You're amazing.