1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

R(efinsihed)BD! - 80s Carvin content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CTBassGuy, Sep 28, 2019.

1. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    RBD!!! I finally got my 1988 Carvin LB90 Koa back from the luthier I asked to refinish it, and it is gorgeous! Beautiful smooth finish and it plays wonderfully.

IMG_2436-small.JPG

The guy who refinished it is excellent; his name is Mark Florio, of Florio Guitars (Florio Guitars – Custom Guitar Works in New England). If anyone in New England needs someone who can do great re-finish work, he's your guy. My Pedulla Buzz goes to him next month for a fretboard strip, sand and refinish (in poly, just like Michael used to do when building them). Mark is terrific and very well priced.

Before:
    IMG_2151-small.JPG
    After:
    IMG_2443-small.JPG

The Brothers Reunited:
    IMG_2442-small.JPG

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very nice! he did a great job --- and i'm sure you're glad to get it back. congrats on your refinish! :thumbsup:

TinIndian, staurosjohn and CTBassGuy like this.
  3. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks JRA. This one is almost an NBD, as when I got it in April, it needed some serious TLC and setup as well as the refinish. I didn't play it much at that time, as it really was not playable.

With setup, clean up, refin and new strings, all that is fixed now!

JRA likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

CTBassGuy and jamro217 like this.
  5. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Yay!!! There is no better feeling than having an instrument beautifully rejuvenated.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  6. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Excellent! My first real bass was an all koa neck through carvin. Bought it new through the catalog in 92 or so. Awesome basses..yours looks like a real gem!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  7. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    SoCal
    I'm going to do a home-invasion on you for the black Carvin.

8. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    It’s actually Deep Pearl Blue; by far my favorite color Carvin had at the time.

And to quote the Bassman’s Creed, “This is my bass. There are many like it, but this one is mine...”. :D

Auspuff likes this.
  9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Sadly, your luthier has plugged up all the mojo seams on your bass. It will now probably sound "shivers" modern. So sorry for your lost "vibe" . :(

CTBassGuy likes this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Those old Carvin's are so cool. Jeff Keisel said his Dad will join him on one of his weekly Live Q&A's in the next few weeks so it would be neat to see him and hear some of his stories and answer some questions!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  11. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I figured the seams would allow the mojo to leak out ( ;) ), especially since it was not an original factory finish (someone along the way applied it, and did a poor job, hence the cracks...)

The good news is it sounds just like my fretless (with the added fret clank) so no “modern” tones here! :thumbsup:

12. Beautiful Carvin's - love their unique look.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  13. Auspuff

Auspuff Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    SoCal
    Carvin LB40.

My recent score. The 1985 Carvin LB40.

I've been after a red one for 36-years.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  14. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    That’s beautiful; looks like new!

I have to say, the LB50s in Koa always intrigued me. I’ve never seen one in person, but I’d love to try one; although, I really don’t need another bass...