Rack Case Ampeg SVT-3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongo5HH, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Bongo5HH

Bongo5HH

May 31, 2008
    I am lookling for a Rack Case for a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and a Furman Power conditioner. It looks as if I will need at least a 3 space rack. The 3 Pro is 15.5" Deep and the Power Conditioner is 10.5" Deep. I have been looking at a 1 SKB 19-3U and a Gator G-Pro-4U-19.

Will these cases work for these units? Does anyone have these units and what type of a case do you use?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My 6Pro needed a deeper case, I bought a RoadRunner.

3. Bongo5HH

Bongo5HH

May 31, 2008
    thanks, I will look into that

4. I'm about to get a nice deal on an svt3 pro myself, and I thought about getting a rack case for it as well
    I don't gig that much, and when I do, I'm very careful about the equipment, so it doesn't have to be the best of the best (I also need to be careful with my money, I'm buying a bit too much equipment these days), but I still want something good that can handle a few knocks.

I'm also going for a 3HE case, so I have a bit of cooling space above the amp, and maybe later I can put in some rack element ( a tuner, effects, ...)

any other suggestions?

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Rack bag

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The SVT 3PRO is a 2 space unit, so with the Furman you would need 3 spaces at least.
    I'd say buy a 4 space and get a rack tuner or something else while you're at it. :D

7. Save your money, SKB stands for S**t Keeps Breaking and Gator plastic racks aren't any better IMHO. Rack bags are lightweight but offer no protection.

Spend a little more money on a Road Ready case or any good ATA case will do the job well. look at the specs and look @ the internal depth, from front rail to back rail. They weigh more but will offer better protection. Do some looking around online, I find some good deals like this on Ebay:used Carvin 4 space rack, 49.99 Buy It Now

I gig a fair amount and have spent good money on my rack mounted rigs so I use good cases to protect my investments.

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    All what you need
    Have had a 3Pro in a rack bag for over 10 years without a problem
    Rides in the trunk of the car and carried by me, as opposed to an equipment truck handled by others

9. +2 on the Roadrunner...have been using it for about 3 years, and with the exception of a little peeling off the footpads, she's holding up great.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I had heard it was 'Shoulda Known better"........ But I don't have any personal gripe with them aside from too little side clearance for a 4 PRO....

Don't forget about a little feature that is on most all the Ampeg rack amps...... on the 3PRO it's right next to the vent on the back. It's a 1/4-20 nut set into the back panel for supporting the unit in the case, so it won't get bent if the roadies drop the rack, etc.

We always used to use that stuff called "plumber's tape... (actually a metal strap with holes in it), to support amps, but other things work too. Just don't let the screw poke in too far. I think about 1/2" (12mm) is the limit.

11. i read on a post about a case for the svt4 that since it also needs air-circulation on the side, SKB cases are really not a good idea. (tight fit so no room for air circulation)

how is this with the ampeg SVT-3? does it have the same problem? could I get an SKB and drill some holes in the side? (something i'd be reluctant to do however)

would a roadready case be a better idea in this respect? or do I need to drill some holes there as well?

(if the side air circulation is of little importance, i may opt for SKB, the amp is moved two, max three times a month, so I don't need super heavy duty stuff)

thx!

ps: Jerrold, i'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean. do you have any pictures to clarify?

12. anyone?

13. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I had mine in a wooden/rat fur six-space case, with a two-space rack drawer amongst a power conditioner and compressor. The PRO is gone, but the drawer still comes in handy.

14. get the 4

I've got a Gator-4L which is just deeper than the 4U, the 3 pro fits in both the L was just what was in stock.

15. behemecoytl

behemecoytl

Oct 1, 2008
    I am also looking for a case for an SVT-3pro and wondering if the
    Gator G-Pro Roto Mold Rack Case will work.

The SVT-3pro has two metal "handles?" sticking out from the face plate- do these stick out too far for some cases?

16. ..depending on your usage, these might could work:

http://www.pearsoncases.com/

Aaron Pearson is very customer friendly! He'll build it so the handles will not stick-out, if that's what you want.

Jimbob

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021