1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rackmount fuzz/distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GabeN, Feb 28, 2008.

1. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I want to run a bi-amp system with one amp running distortion on it's effects loop but I can't seem to find any rackmount distortions.

I found the Viva Analog 360+ rackmount but there isn't any info indicating if they are for sale or not or what's going on with them.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for an aggressive gritty fuzz. Between a Muff Pi and Blowtorch is where I'm going. Blowtorch being too buzzy and Pi being too fuzzy. Buzzyfuzz is the idea here.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are lots of options. Viva Analog units are custom-built to order, so you email him for more info; Lee Jackson made a few different tube drive rack units, including (I think) the ones branded by TubeWorks and Chandler, and they can be driven into buzzyfuzz territory; DHA custom-makes rack units, and he could design one for that type of drive easily; SWR made the Interstellar Overdriver, which I think can get there; there's a two-channel rackmount RAT in the TB classifieds.

I bet I can come up with a few more in a little while.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I am running an SWR Interstellar Overdrive. VERY cool unit. Actually uses power tubes for overdrive. Kind of hard to find though. Blend control on it is a very nice touch, I just don't care much for the EQ.

What about Sansamp RBI? Easy to get, and much cheaper than most. SWR IO will run you about $350 used.

4. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Thanks for the info, I'm seriously considering that Rat rackmount unit.

What's the deal with the 360+? It looks really cool and judging by the following that Acoustic amps have, I'm sure it sounds pretty good. Does anybody have any sound clips? Also, does anybody know a ballpark price on one?

5. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    I sent the gentleman at Viva a message about the stomp-version of the 360+, and the cost was osmething like $500. Obviously not exactly what you're asking about, but the rack-version is very similar, if I read correctly on his site. I say get one, and tell us how it is :)

6. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Sure, no prob. I'll just pick some money off my little tree here....;)

Dayum, 500 smackers?!?! I think me needs to get a job...or sell a kidney.:crying: It sounds GREAT on the Viva site but that's way spendy. I know it's custom but you could almost get a real Acoustic head for that much (unless I'm an idiot and they're really expensive too which they probably are).

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Aguilar Agro - seriously...check it out! Search "agro" in the amps section. There are a lot of good clips and other info on it.

PS - $330 or so includes shipping, rack ears, and footswitch.

8. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Isn't that more of an overdrive than a fuzz or heavy distortion? I've heard good things about it but I'm not sure it's what I'm going for as far as sound.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are soundclips of it in the Amps forum, and I'm sure if you PM'ed various people who posted that they own it, one of them could record you a clip of it doing whatever sound like fuzzed distortion it can do.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Trust me, it can do fuzz.

Clips on my band's page below and a few more in the other threads if you do a search on it.