1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rackmounting a single head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Damani311, Jun 24, 2007.

1. If you only have one head, and no pre/poweramp or effects box or anything, would it still be a good idea to rackmount it? Would it add protection, I guess i'm not really sure what a rack does other than let you combine heads into one portable box w/handles.

Thanks

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What head are you using? You don't have any info in your profile.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Racks are typically used to amalgamate preamp and power amp "separates" - or to add non-essential weight and bulk to a bass rig via tuners, and "power conditioners" that could be had for dimes on the dollar as surge protectors ; }

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've carried my GK in a 2 space rack purely for the purpose of protecting it in transit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rack for a single unit.

5. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I've got a 2 space rack bag for my Peavey head for the same reason. Cheap, light and offers enough protection for my needs.

6. My SVT-II is rackmount. 85lbs out of rack, about 90-95lbs in a rack.

Reasons to rack? Lots of extra protection, including protection of the back where there are exposed tubes. Also, allows side handles which arent otherwise there on the SVT-II.

7. nico_80

nico_80

Oct 31, 2006
    SoCal
    Would air flow be a problem for a racked amp head? Like those who mentioned they have their heads in a 2 space rack, where does the excess heat go? Would a 3 space rack be better to have that extra vent?

8. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    it depends on the amp and how it vents. of the three tube amps i've had, all have been either kept in a rack that was the same size as the amp, or built into a combo with no top venting (buster). no overheating whatsoever on any of them, and if i were really worried about it (which i'm not), i would get a clip-on fan.

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i would put any head capable of being rackmounted in a rack as soon as i could. they protect it not only from catastrophic damage, but from everyday nicks and scratches that take away from re-sale value, and they usually make for an easier carry.

10. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i dont know how many times a rack saved my head from things crashing down on it and not to mention people's drinks that would have done some damage to the head if it had been spilt directly on it.

you can think of it like a hardshell case for your bass. when in transit or storage(side of the stage or in a closet kinda deal) it'll protect it.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A rack will protect your amp and also your cars seats or trunk lining.

I have a 3U rack that only holds my Ampeg B2RE (2U) and Furman Power Conditioner (1U). I bought the Furman just because I had 1U to fill and I liked the cable management idea.

12. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm going for a Gator 2U Rack Bag for my TFB-550B. Just don't want to get it all banged up at my rough church gig,...Ha Ha...

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've got my Thunderfunk in a rack. No surge suppressor or anything, just the amp. I might add a power conditioner and an IOD later on but for now it's just in there for safety.

14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    +1,000 on saving car seats!!!

Hasn't happened in many a year, but I tore up my Dad's car seats about 30 years ago with a Carvin Power amp that wasn't "protected" with a rack....All told, cost me about $430 (1977 Dollars) to fix that little screw up!

Now, I keep my SVT - Furman - ART Compressor - And Korg Tuner in a rack.....keeps everything nice and tidy. Not to mention that I haven't had to replace any car seats in many a year...........

15. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    I have a 6-space rack:
    2 for my GBE750 head
    1 for my wireless system
    3 for a drawer

The drawer changed my life:D I can put everything in it in only seconds and I'm outta there.

And the rack protects everything that is inside, so I don't have to worry about dropping a bottle of water or... a few shooters:smug:

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    +1

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021