1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Radial JD-4 and other Radial Boxes

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi Justin I was just wondering how the JD-4 in your NIN rig is hooked up and what you are using it for.

Also I've been thinking about getting a JDI Duplex MK4 for myself to cover the following ground

Pre and Post fx DI for recording
    For Di'ing 2 tube amps post power section using the speaker in
    Di'ing one tube amp post power section and before input to amplifer
    And every permutation you can think of from that and I was just wondering if you though maybe I'd be better with something like a JDV or 2 JDI's or a JDI and JDV or if one passive di box can rule them all ;)

Also I don't know if you are interested but I think I found a way to rack entire pedalboards and have them work on a midi switcher and completely standalone old school at your feet stylee :D I don't know if such a system would be of use to you?

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    It's for my upright and keys...sorry to disappoint. :)

As far as your pedalboard idea, I'm not sure if I follow. But the only way I can rock it is the way I have it now (pedals racked up, MIDI controller on floor). Otherwise, I'd suffer the wrath of flying mic stands, guitars, and keyboards.

Best,
    JMJ

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK

Damn :D oh well I'll probably still get a Duplex.

What I meant with the pedals is while I understand they have to be racked there is a way to rack them on pedalboards (Small ones mind about the same size of the trays you have) and have the midi switcher under the board so if you so chose you could remove the board but just unhooking the input and output and use the board on the floor without a midi controller, I doubt you'd ever need to and could easily just get duplicate pedals but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also when looking at your rack I noticed you didn't have a wireless does this mean you aren't using one or is it provided by who ever does the FOH and monitor sound and is this common? Basically (Since I'm rambling) I've thinking of getting a wireless but know when we go on tour I can get the sound company to provide me with both wireless and IEM (I'd get my own molds and headphones etc) and are most likely to be of a higher quality to the X2 I'm thinking of getting.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, you'd have to buy a really expensive wireless to beat those X2's. They are super.

So Trent is still throwing stuff across the stage, huh? Hope your insurance premiums are paid up. When he gets in that zone, it seems like he really doesn't care who or what gets in his way. I'll never forget Woodstock 94 where they're doing "Down In It," and Trent's running across the stage with his mic, and the cable gets under Robin and he just yanks Robin's feet out right from under him! Landed pretty hard, too. Trent just kept on singing. I could watch that a million times and not get tired of it ;)

Have you taken a header or been hit with shrapnel yet?

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes to shrapnel, and yes to several rather big collisions with TR as well :)

I don't rock a wireless. It's not really workable with fourteen instruments. Plus I like the sound of cable. So I'm not very up to date on what the latest in that world is.

That's a very interesting concept of modular pedal boards, in which the tray of pedals is actually removable and usable on its own. I like that idea, very cool.

All the best,
    JMJ

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well here is the thread with us discussing it so you can see what is needed

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470516

Feel free to steal the idea :D