Raezers edge Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by thumper8, Jul 23, 2009.

1. thumper8

thumper8

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    I'm just curious if anyone would think the raezers edge nighthawk cabinet would be a good choice for bass? I know it's a guitar cabinet, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Basically I'm looking for a smaller cabinet to go with my focus, and I've already tried the wizzy (great, but too much mid-range for me).

From the Raezers Edge Website:

Raezer’s Edge cabinets have gained the highest reputation in the Jazz and Blues communities for delivering a big focused sound in a small portable cabinet. Now introducing the Nighthawk - 22 pounds of pure, clean, undistorted tone in a 14” x 14” x 10” birch construction bass reflex ported cabinet.

As with our Stealth Extended Range (ER) cabinets, the Nighthawk tonal range spans from 55 Hz to 16KHz+. We didn’t skimp on the high frequency driver either. The Nighthawk uses a Pro Sound Eminence coaxial mounted NSD-2005 driver with titanium diaphragm. Not only does this driver deliver crystal clear highs, it beautifully reinforces the mid range frequencies as well.

With the rear mounted L Pad turned to zero, the Nighthawk delivers a rich, smoky jazz tone, much like that of our Twin 8 cabinet. The tonal personality of the Nighthawk changes dramatically as the L Pad is dialed in. From dark and smoky to full range with plenty of punch – its hard to believe it’s all from one cabinet!

In addition, you will smile every time you transport the Nighthawk. With its recessed handle, small size and light weight, it’s a pleasure to take to your gig.

Thanks in advance.

2. +1 if anyone knows anything about using one of their guitar cabs for a bass

3. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA

Nope. I'm far from an expert on amplification, but since an A string on a bass vibrates at 55 Hz and E string at 41 Hz any note lower than an A is below their range spec. I know there are now guitar amps designed to handle low tunings, but IMO if shopping for a bass cab why not stick with one designed for bass rather than push the limits of one designed for guitar.

4. I have used a 4X12 Sunn cab for bass with no ill effects but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I think your best bet is to get a small 1X12 cab rather than use a guitar cab. There are lots available. On the cheap end there is the Avatar for just a little more a great cab IMO is the Aguilar 1X12 GS 112. I personally have used a pair of these for a few years and I love them. I also have a Bergantino 1X12 that is great I picked it up used for $300. The Aggies can be found used for around #00-350 used. You're just better off all the way 'round with a bass cab.

peace Capt Kirk

5. EDIT I just looked at the web site mentioned. At those prices you can get into a LOT of high quality bass cabs!!!