1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rail Bass Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PitchShifter, Mar 2, 2008.

1. PitchShifter

PitchShifter

Dec 21, 2007
    Hello, I'm trying to find a Rail-type Bass pickup, preferably passive. I'm having a hard time finding any, though I did come across one about 8 months ago, just can't remember what it was..D'Oh.

Does anyone know of any company that makes Rail bass pickups?

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    if by "Rail" you mean a pickup with a single blade polepiece (or a pair, for humbucking) check out Bill Lawrence pickups.

...if they're even still available.

3. PitchShifter

PitchShifter

Dec 21, 2007
    Yeah, the blade piece(s). I'm not concerned whether it's single or dual at this point, just need the blade to handle the string spacing I have.

Thanks for the tip on the Bill Lawrence, I'll check them out.

4. I have a Bill Lawrence USA Humbucker EB-50PB which looks almost identical to this, but the rails are actuall extended each side:

[​IMG]

I'm looking for a Mudbucker-type (Gibson/Guild/Hagstrom/DiMarzio/Darkstar) and would trade, but I'm in the UK and suspect mail charges would make this unviable.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Bill Lawrence's J45 pickups should handle any spacing you need. They aren't blades but have many polepieces. They're also noiseless and sell for a good price.

6. DiMarzio X2N-B are rail type too...

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Almost all Bartolini's are rails under the cover.

8. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I thought this was gonna be a thread about the westone rail bass.

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    me too. :D

10. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Ok then :D
    bf247ec8.

11. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    For the poor (like me :crying:), EMG Select are supposed to be rails under the cover...

12. PitchShifter

PitchShifter

Dec 21, 2007
    LoL, I came across the Westone after posting. Had I known of it before, I would have modifed the title ;)

After a few replies and PMs I found that Bartolini, EMG, Delano and Joe Barden all have passive blade pickups, so it does seem there is a good choice.

Also, that Searcy Neo Jazz does look very enticing, and a good price too. Cheers for bringing it to my attention.

I'll have to sit down and break the choices down.

Thanks for all the replies!

13. Based on your posts, you are looking for J pickups as opposed to P pickups? The first one that came to mind was the DiMarzio Split P

14. PitchShifter

PitchShifter

Dec 21, 2007
    Ooops, another oversight.

Well, routing options are currently open, but I'm leaning towards J bass.