Raise your hand if you are also a drummer.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Im a drummer/percussionist gone bass. I majored in percussion in college and played drums my whole life. Bass is a new gig for me and Im lovin it.. Now I can participate on the other side of all those drummer jokes.. ;)

2. My younger brother took up drums just after I took up guitar, so I've always played. I have a nice old Ludwig kit in my studio, but the best I could say about my playing is that it's "competent". Still, that's probably better than my bass playing.

3. I've been playing bass for 35 years and drums for 8 years. I practice drums every day.

I'm a decent intermediate player and can hold my own in most situations. Drums is a life long learning exercise it's not for the faint-hearted there's so much to learn.

Davo

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a kit in the spare bedroom that I knock around when the muse strikes...don't claim to be any kind of good on them, but I knock out 4 -bar samples to graft together for my halfa** recordings when I don't want to program drums...which I'm equally not awesome at. :smug:

I have performed drums live a few times, does that make me a bona-fide drummer?

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It just occurred to me that my only active band is the one where I play the congas, so I barely qualify as a bassist all of a sudden! Oof!

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Don't feel bad, I haven't even left the bedroom yet with my bass! Due to all the gigging I did as drummer, I have no burning desire to jump back into all that. I like just chillin' with my bass. Studying, learning, jamming, all that. If you ask me if I'm a bass player I'll say hell yeah! Whether I'm any good or not is something the jury is still out on, I believe. But I'm getting closer every day! :D :bassist:

7. Well I finally bought a set! It has been 20 years since my last set, and I have only plyed on my drummers sets in the interim.
    I picked up a Gretsch Catalina Club set with Zildjian cymbals and PDP hardware, including a double kick pedal which is greek to me.
    Pretty nice compared to my old set, but mostly made in China (except the cymbals!).
    I spent $650 total and I am already looking for a bigger ride cymbal and a 2nd crash.

8. Congratulations! It sounds like a great kit!

Use it! I have access to:

A 10-piece Ludwig Centennial (yes, 10 drums)
    A 4-piece Ludwig Classic Maple (think Ringo)
    A 5-piece PDP CX

All with proprietary cymbals. And a Roland set in my living room.

I maybe spend five minutes a week playing drums. I should play more because I'm way better at drums than bass, even with a gimpy kick foot.

You have it, now use it. Don't be like me. I'm not a role model.:D

Edit: post a photo!

9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i do regular gigs drumming in originals bands, and occasional paid session work.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021