1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rap bass lines?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stealth, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'll get straight to the point. One of my friends (a highly proficient keyboard player who's done plenty of composing so far) has decided to invite me to a side-project of his which'll end up as a rock-jazz-rap fusion. No, I have no idea how he intends to meld all that together, but since he's taken the charge he'll decide on that. What I'm interested is in some recommended tracks with decent grooves, something to draw ideas from, what the rhythmic points are etc.

Any help would be appreciated

2. vicvarado

vicvarado

May 10, 2008
    Sabinal, Texas
    Rapper's Delight

3. Parliament Funkadelic. Bootsy Collins. These are some of the sampled basslines that were used to create rap, and still used today.

4. Let's get retarded - Black Eyed Peas

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Rap music usually uses music from R&B, Funk and Disco genres. Some use Rock backgrounds. There is no special 'rap' bassline. Just think along the lines of regular everyday music with rapping instead of singing.

6. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    +1

What I would do is find some rap songs you like, then find out where they sampled the music from, and then listen to the original artists.

7. Ian Manley

Ian Manley

Jan 12, 2007
    +1 A lot of old Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre songs use samples from Parliament Funkadelic.

In addition, I would recommend checking out some songs from A Tribe Called Quest or MF Doom for some pretty nice bass lines.

8. Ian Manley

Ian Manley

Jan 12, 2007
    Oh, and The Pharcyde. Their basslines tend to be really good too.

9. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Check out anything by The Roots, Kanye West, Talib Kweli, and Common. All of those artists melt those styles together very well.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Jay-Z's stuff has some smokin' bass lines. Actually, that whole band burns.

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Seconding the parliament, but lots of other funk groups, like the ohio players and zapp, not to mention james brown (beats/basslines in particular) have been used for endless samples. The only difference is that a sample is looped, so it's very repetetive, and sometimes the groove changes. So if you don't like playing one-chord grooves, this could get boring.

Current hip-hop uses fewer samples and more "original" keyboard lines, but I doubt your pal is trying for rock-jazz-hyphy fusion.

12. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    Listen to a group called sleepys theme. Its sleepy brown the son of one of the members or brick and he is part of organized noize. The production team behind the older outkast and goodie mob records. They have a real hip hop meets jazz and blues feel. And Preston crump really holds down the groove. Also check out outkast song wheels of steel. Or even the rapheal saadiq bass line from so fresh so clean.

Its not all just recycle a funk line like some would say. Just follow the chords and play sparse and with a feel that compliments the track

13. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Galactic's "From the Corner to the Block" is their most recent disc and it has several MC's on it like Boots Rily. It's a good example of jam/funk/jazz meets rap.

14. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    Digable planets. Its like Bebop hip hop. And add a like rock to that also check out arrested development. They may have only had to really popular cuts but lots of great tracks

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The Roots (Own) , especially when Hub was there (IMO).

17. +1 on roots comments, is Leonard Hubbard out of the Roots? I know they do some albums with digital/ sample/ mastered beats, but I thought Hub was a fixture.

18. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Actually, that's kind of what he's aiming at. After a recent chat with him I discovered he does intend to go with original - and rather jazzy keyboard lines. So, I'd say this'll be quite the experiment.

Thanks everyone for the input - and thanks for the samples. Not being a hip-hop or a funk listener on a regular basis (though I've become interested in funk as of late due to my bass teacher's influence) this gives me plenty to think and work on.

19. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    No, I believe he is no longer with the roots (currently Owen Biddle), but man that guy pwned whenever they played live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hub_(bassist)

20. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    listen to lots of different types of rap music and other genres then play like you would.