1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rare Breed? Show your 5 E-C here.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B3bopbass, Jun 24, 2007.

1. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    Steve Swallow does it.
    Dominique DiPiazza does it.
    Matt Garrison Does it.

Show how you do it.
    And describe why it works for the kind of music you're making.

2. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    I suppose the lack of response confirms my assumption... :eyebrow:

3. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Naw, I have two Koa Carvins, one from 87, one from 04, that I string E-C, use for my times of Steve Swallow obsessions

4. [​IMG]

Only image I have of it ATM. 2003 or 4 MTD Saratoga. Fretless E-C. I've used it in the school Jazz Ensemble for the past three years.

5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Rare breed? Probably. Though it's not unheard of to string a fiver as a "tenor bass", I'd be willing to bet no more than 10% of fivers are strung EADGC, and maybe no more than 5%.

Personally, I prefer the standard BEADG configuration, for three reasons. One, I learned on four-bangers, and my four-string Jazz gets a lot of play time, so adding the B on the far side of the fretboard is more natural to my fretting hand than having a C where I expect a G. Two, I only have one fiver and it's set up perfectly, so I don't want to mess with string tensions. And third, being a more traditional 'groover' bassist rather than a jazzier soloist or shredder, I find I need the low Eb, D and C that the B string far more than I would need the extra high end in lower positions. If I need to solo, it's no problem doing so on the upper octave. If I wanted a high C, I'd probably look for a six-string.

$0.02 :bag:

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    This bass is now strung EADGC.
    stealth_valenti_016.jpg

7. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't own one right now, but I can see one in the near future for me.
    It will be either a 6 string or a 5 string e-c. But if I had to do it today it would be a five string.

8. I don't own any 5s, but thought I'd mention that Steve Digiorgio does this as well.

I swear I read somewhere Wooten has a bass strung as such too, but that may just be me being stupid.

I know I'd look into this tuning if I ever got a 5er.

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    613415491_5c8a5f8ce9.jpg
    487582295_b2913d17b0_o.jpg
    That's a Valenti jazz that I just sold, because I need to pay off debt, it's an incredible bass. Stringing it E-C wasn't my idea but I really liked it. I think it worked in any music, but it sounded really nice for chording or adding a high octave to a note to really give a full sound to the bass you don't really expect to hear. It also sounde fantastic in soloing or slapping/plucking.

10. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=BTB555MP&c=NTF

The btb 5-string, E-C, and i LOVE the E-C tuning. to be honest it doesn't exactly fit into my bands style of music, i use the C string for a whole 16 measures in one song.

www.myspace.com/deathbydancingmusic

you can hear how i don't really need it in this band. I usually stick to nice low overdrive/distortion

i do however use for my own personal playing, or when ever i may play a small jazz gig, or just jam with people. the freedom of the C string is very nice, and allows for alot of creativity. I play the c just as much as the other strings.

i can't imagine having a 5-string not being tuned E-C

11. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    that bass is woodcrafted sex.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No wonder I felt so drained after I completed that bass. ;)

13. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    Nino, sounds like you've got a slogan for a new ad campaign. Just think of all the possibilities...woodcrafted sex.

14. Dude, E-C is how I roll. At least, on two of my basses. :)

15. That bass is so f'in hot!! Slowly but surely, Nino is turning into the jazz bass messiah!! ;)

16. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I like the E-C setup...Rob Allen and Veillette.

deep5stand.jpg

L1000600-1.jpg

17. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    a man after my own heart, that's beautiful dude :cool:

18. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    speaking of woodcrafted sex, some of you have floors as beautiful as your basses

19. My Spector Legend E-C
    [​IMG]

20. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Jul 21, 2005
    scotland
    Here is my Nordstrand tuned E-C.I really love a low B as well so i suppose a six string is next!!! Picture046.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021