1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rat fur!!!! Why do amps have Rat fur?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marlond, May 21, 2011.

1. marlond

marlond

Jun 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I just need to vent this. And get some answers.
    -Why did amp (cab) makers start using rat fur?
    -Why are they still using rat fur?
    -Why does this only seem to still plague Bass amps (and live sound) now?
    -What is the advantage of using rat fur (other than it fading as it gets old and collecting dust and pet hair)?
    -And, does anyone actually like the rat fur?

I hate it so much, as I know may on here do too, that it becomes a deciding factor on a cab that I may buy. EX: I want a Bergantino NV (used), but I will seriously pass on one that has rat fur (unless for some reason it was an absolute steal).

And on a side note. I would want to see more amps using that truck liner stuff, That stuff is awesome. It would be really cool if a cab company started offering it in different colors like they do with tolex. :bag: That would be awesome!

johnny_bolt likes this.
  2. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    I got a full rig covered in rat fur (head, 2X10, 2X15) and I never minded the fur nor ever had a problem, and I can Velcro pedals and other stuff right to them which is kinda handy.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  3. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because it's better than using mink and less likely P.E.T.A will come after you?????????

:p

el jeffe bass and El Apestoso like this.
  4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I too have never had a problem with rat fur cabs. Any rat fur cab that I have bought new has remained pristine since I always use covers. If I have bought a rat fur cab second hand and it looks rough I have found that running over it with electric hair clippers tidies it up nicely.

SJan3, JGbassman and Son of Wobble like this.
  5. rat fur sucks if you leave your cab in a dirty environment. Then you have to vaccume it.

6. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Agreed, I keep mine as imaculate as I can and somehow there are always pine needles and animal hair all over it. I don't even own any animals!!!!! Hate it.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  7. RenorCordic

RenorCordic

Nov 12, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    I prefer to have tolex type material, but rat fur is ok. Vacuuming helps keep it clean too.

8. Rat fur is more durable then other options in the same cost range.

SJan3 likes this.
  9. When I bought my used Peavey Mark VIII + 2x10 + 115 (with rat fur), they had dog hair all - and I mean ALL - over them. I bargained for a discount, told the sales guy I'd have to spend serious time getting it all off, and he gave it to me!! I used several pieces of gaffer tape rolled sticky side out and patted them down to remove the hair. The set nows looks fantastic, for rat fur, and with a little work, well worth it.

Sure, the stuff may need a little work every now & then, but I like the flat black look on stage anyway. To each his/her own.

SJan3 likes this.
  10. I thought you guys were joking. Seriously, amp makers have models with rat fur?

JGbassman and johnny_bolt like this.
  11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Few things that rat fur do better than other finishes.

- Doesn't reflect light, so it disappears onstage, if that's wanted...
    - Doesn't chip off if you smash it at the corner.
    - Holds things in place better, like another cab, an amp head or a beer bottle.
    - It's cheap.
    - It's easy to apply.

12. I bought GK cabs that had rat hair. I stripped it off and refinished them with roll on Duplicolr truck bed liner. They look great and the finish is very durable.

13. marlond

marlond

Jun 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
  14. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I don't know rat fur may be tuff, but I've got an old Peavey 212 cab I use for guitar. That stuff Peavey used on it is pretty tuff. I wish everyone used it. When I got it it was pretty dirty, a brush soap and water it look's like new. Loaded with some Eminence's and been using it for years. IT still looks new. My MarkBass combo has rat fur,and I'am always cleaning it after moving it around.

15. its why i like rat fur. the only problem is now my pedal board is too big :(

16. My first amp (a Behringer combo) had the rat fur... I didn't keep it long enough to notice any issues! :D

On another note: The stuff covering the Peavey 810 at the local music store here has the COOLEST covering I've ever seen. I think it's a variation of the truck liners mentioned above. It's rough, rock-hard, and feels like it could survive anything.

17. I like bare cabs like some of the bag ends!

18. Wow, I can't believe I never though of the Velcro thing before.

19. Not actual rat fur. Just fuzzy carpet stuff.