1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rattling noise from headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scarothjagaroth, Mar 9, 2013.

1. scarothjagaroth

scarothjagaroth

Mar 9, 2013
    I've been playing bass for about 3 months now, and I have a problem that's been bothering me more and more since it started.

I have a Dean E09 Edge bass, and whenever I pluck the strings, there is a weird rattling noise that seems to be coming from the headstock. I've tried tightening screws, but none were loose, so that didn't help. Perhaps I need to replace the strings?

Thanks for your help.

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Wait until long after dark , bury it in the neighbor's back yard . It's gone . You will need something that's been made in the USA . Preferably with a Fender decal .

Lownote38 likes this.
  3. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Try this:
    While plucking an open string with the right hand, press that same string with your left hand against the headstock. Do the same thing with every string one at a time. If there's no rattling noise then you might need to install a string retainer.

01-bar.

4. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Probably the truss rod.

Turn the amp louder :D

5. nice

6. nice

Make sure the tuning peg screws are tight.

MYLOWFREQ and Doctor Hugocat like this.
  7. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Even if you were certain (which you of course aren't) that once you buy "something made in the USA with a Fender decal" rattling noise will never occur, how exactly does your comment help?

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You may have a slot in your nut that is too wide for its string. I've had this happen on a couple of different instruments.

Lowendtech and Scottkarch like this.
  9. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    You said you checked te screws, but do you mean the screws on the back or on the front of the headstock? Whenever this has happened to me its been because of loose bolt screws ( the bigger wider hollow screw bolt that centers the tuning heads). Make sure they are tight
    MachBassSmBlk1.

10. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Why would anyone downgrade like that?

11. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    This happened to me with my MIA fender strat. It was the truss rod rattling against the wood inside the channel. I tried to get it to go away by changing the relief and was successful. Unfortunately that made it so my action was not good. I got rid of that neck...

AltGrendel likes this.
  12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I must confess that with the spring into daylight savings time I've been trying to prepare myself . It is a rare Saturday night at home . I suffer an odd sense of humor , forgive me .
    I might also confess my favorite bass was made in Korea .
    From the sounds of things it might just be the truss rods rattling . I generally turn up the radio when I hear something funny in my car . Turn the top knob all the way clockwise .
    That should do it .
    But regardless , you should try and bury something in the neighbor's backyard ...

iain westland likes this.
  13. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Had this problem. It was duofold; both a funky tuning machine and a loose truss rod. Neither was fixable, so I returned the instrument.

14. I have this same problem with a new bass. Tightened all screws on the tuning heads and truss rod cover. Buzz persists when I put a finger over the strings behind the nut. I'm pretty sure it's the truss rod. What do I do? I'm happy with the instrument otherwise.

15. Me too.
    Find the offending string & then slip a thin piece of paper between the string & the nut.
    If that solves the problem, you might want to look up how to drop some super glue in there & re-slot the nut.

mpdd and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  16. This is an old thread. I figured I didn't need to start a new one. Like I said I'm pretty sure it's the truss rod. There's no way there's enough space for any string for it to rattle at the nut. What do I do about the truss rod?

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I also think it is the nut over the truss rod. I suggest trying @bdwgml 's advice before looking too much further.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. The thing is I can't make out the offending string which is why I think it's the truss rod rattling. There's a rattle with all strings when I don't fret them.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Slip some paper in every nut slot then, see if the issue persists.

20. Unfortunately it does :/ Since I tightened all the screws on the headstock including truss rod cover I guess it must be the truss rod. Do I return the bass? Would make me sad since it was a good deal and I like both looks and feel of it. Not a expensive piece of gear though. It doesn't make sense to have it fixed for a lot of money.