1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RBX 375 vs RBX 775

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morris888, Aug 24, 2007.

1. morris888

morris888

Jul 25, 2007
    Whats the difference between RBX 375 and 775. What other basses are good for that prize????:help:

2. tips

tips

Jan 25, 2007
    Haifa, Israel
    dude, the 775 is sooooo much better in every possible way

3. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY

Which, ironically, is about the price of the guitar

4. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Well as far as I can tell, the 775 is no longer made, so you can't get a new one. That's your first major difference.

Other differences:
    * RBX375 has two MM-inspired humbuckers. The 775 has two soapbar humbuckers similar to the current TRB series pickups.

* RBX375 has a conventional 2-band EQ with volume, pan, bass, treble controls. RBX775 has master volume, master tone, and active gain boost. I've heard of 775s having 2- or 3-band EQs, but have not seen a picture of a 775 with this config.

* RBX375 was designed for a lower pricepoint, even given that it has a more flexible preamp. The 775, when it was produced, was among the highest-level RBXs made. Component and build quality might therefore be less on the 375. Yamaha's main method of price-cutting is cheaper components, while their build quality, even on lower-price instruments, is usually good.

* RBX375 is not available in dark blue. RBX775 is not available in metallic red. Both ARE available in black and silver.

5. morris888

morris888

Jul 25, 2007
    I asked this question because my old bass is broken and I need a new bass, I want a 5 string or a 6 string. I have played bass guitar for almost two years. A year ago I tested both basses (RBX 375 and 775), in a store. For me both of them were good. Now in that store their prices are US$460 (375) and US$640(775). The 375 is cheaper than the other so I want to know if it is a good bass to buy. Also if someone can recommend me other basses for that prize ($400-$600) it would be great.

6. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Broken how? If there's nothing wrong with the body or neck, repairs are usually a matter of resoldering an electric connection or replacing a part. The only damage that's really fatal to a bass is a cracked headstock or neck, broken truss rod, or serious body damage like a horn missing. You can replace pickups, rewire electronics, replace tuners and bridge, or replace the nut for a small fraction of what a new bass will cost.

7. tips

tips

Jan 25, 2007
    Haifa, Israel
    the 775's are still in stock even though they are no longer built. contact the official yamaha dealer closest to you and ask his to check for availability... any who, the 375 is much inferior to the 775 by build and electronics' quality, and the 775 is pretty much a high-end commercial bass, so I really do think that if you're looking for that kind of bass in this price range you should go with the 775.

8. Bass_Xtremist89

Bass_Xtremist89

Oct 29, 2006
    I have an RBX-374 which i HATED the sound of. I went to Allans music in Melbourne, tried an RBX-774 and fell in love with it. I then ordered some 774 pickups from yamaha and did some routing to fit them to the 374. Now i couldnt be happier with it:)

9. I've owned two 775s for four years that have been "faithful" instruments in every sense of the word. I've also played many 375s in stores since they were released...

There is not a comparison. As many has said, the 375 is simply made for a different pricepoint and while a decent bass for that pricepoint, the 775 was a bass built for one much higher and it shows immediately. Immediately the extra routing on the body edge of the bass that makes the design look symmetrical whereas the one-sided routing of the 375 simply looks off-balance. The 775 also has a much more solid neck joint - I've measured side-by-side, and the 375 is shorter by about 1".

The average electronics and pickups of the 375 (MM-wannabes that IMO don't come close to the real thing) to the soapbars that are currently in use in the highly-regarded TRB-100X series and a control setup, that while seems odd (master volume, master tone, and active gain boost) is actually quite useful "in the heat of the moment" - full-on tone and both pickups gives you a nice modern J-type tone while rolling it off and switching to the neck pup gives you a good amount of old-school "thud". The gain boost useful in both as well as other situations.

There are also some other issues: the 775's bridge is a mono-rail while the 375 is your much more traditional die-cast one-piece. To my eyes while both finishes are "flat", the 775 was done in a much more "quality" method. The majority of 375s I've played feel and sound "dead" vs the 775, which seemed to resonate more. And yes, you can argue that the 375, being a lower-priced bass fit into this range. But it's hard to argue that now on the used market 775s sell for not much more than a 375 new, and certainly not at all what it "deserves" to be.

If you have any choice, grab an RBX-775. Classic Yamaha quality in a "modern" layout - I'd bet with some aftermarket pickups and preamp, it would be an absolute monster.