1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

re-finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirk7613, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kirk7613

kirk7613

Dec 4, 2011
    Hello I would like to get some opinions on what product to use on a re-finish just the paint ,I'm going back to black on a fender p-bass plus deluxe ,94' usa.I am a painter / cabinet finishes so I'm quite familiar with the laquers I'm going to use but not so with the paint.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

In your line of work, you appreciate surface prep! If you take it to bare wood, make sure to use a grail filler before the base coat.

I like to use acrylic lacquer, which comes in rattle cans from Dupli-Color in auto parts stores. Of course, other finishes are more sturdy, but the Dupli-Color line has tons of color options.

ReRanch.com also sells nitro paint in rattle cans...very traditional finish.

3. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Reranch stuff is top notch nitro spray. You can get glass like finishes with it with minimal knowledge on how to do it all. I've repainted a bass with their stuff.

Stripping all the way and grain filler is the hardest, IME.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    A grail?!

TimTheEnchanter.

:p

5. kirk7613

kirk7613

Dec 4, 2011
    Thanks reranch.com sounds good to me,thanks again for the suggestions.