Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Re: Running the Slide on Bass Strings

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The Marphy, Jul 23, 2004.

1. The Marphy

The Marphy

Mar 19, 2004
    Dear All,

After playing the bass for about 3-4 months are there any rules for "sliding" on the bass.

That is running the finger down one of the strings for that beautiful glissando/portamento feel.

Regards
    Paul

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I can't think of many rules, other than not to overuse it :) especially you play fretless ;)

it's always tempting to stick a slide in instead of playing a fill, because, especially in rock, they usually sound good :)

if you can speed up a descending slide and pick/pluck in time, you can simulate a 'descending chromatic rundown' :)

3. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Keep your fretting hand fingers and hands as relaxed as possible (a challenge for me - I tend to tighten up).

Be aware of the volume changes when sliding.

An ascending slide will result in the volume staying about the same (perhaps increasing).

A descending slide will result in a loss of volume.

A slide accompanied by rapid plucking (as cowsgomoo explained) can sound impressive.

McCartney does this nicely on Something (I think that's the song). Perhaps he did so to maintain the volume of a "slow" slide.

Anyway it sounds appropriate and really cool.

Good luck.