Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Read Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r379, Nov 18, 2004.

1. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm not any kind of search expert, but I did look and found nothing. What experience, if any, does anyone have with the basses that Jack Read builds? Everyone seems to be raving about his preamps but I don't remember seeing any mention of his basses. If there is a previous thread I'd appreciate someone letting me know its whereabouts but any comments would also be welcome. I'm particularly interested in his Jazz-type basses. Thanks.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I lusted after Read made basses for a long time. I have no personal experience with them, but I can say that everyone of his customers that I have ever heard from has been more than satisfied. He is also one hell of a nice guy and respected by many other luthiers.

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    VW's step neck looks interesting, dont think i would ever need something like that but its a nifty idea.

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  6. I played that J during a visit to Jack's home/workshop this summer. What struck me most about the bass was its neck. Comfy shape and the back of neck had a wonderful, hand-applied oil (and possibly wax?) finish. The finish felt similar to Lakland's USA necks. It's cool to play an instrument that displays evidence of careful hand finishing, if that makes any sense.