1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reading exercises?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by AZNBassist, Jun 2, 2007.

1. AZNBassist

AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    Denton
    Hey, after reading the post about Ray Brown's method and taking some time to shed it, I started wondering about something.

Do you think its better or worse to read the exercises from sheet music, or to look at your left hand on the fingerboard when your playing it? For example, in Ray Brown's book, he writes out scales, thirds, fourths, etc. I was wondering if I should try to play exercises by reading them off the book, or if I should just play the exercise by figuring it out without reading. For example, when I'm playing thirds should I be reading the music to find the notes, or should I just figure out the notes by myself (since its just thirds and its all in the scale) and play it? Do you guys think one is better than the other? Do you think there's a difference?

2. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Look at the sheet music, you should never be looking at your left hand its bad technique. If you are struggling with intonation while reading?? then try playing infront of a mirror.

Is that what you were asking for?

3. AZNBassist

AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    Denton
    Well, it's kind of a confusing question, so let me try to clarify it a bit.

For example, if I was trying to play A major in thirds, should I read the thirds written out? Or because I already know the notes of the scale should I just play every other note and figure out the fingering?

4. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    ok i know what you mean now, i should think you should try to read it if that is what you want to work on.

5. I figured out the intervals i knew on elec bass on double then read the ones i didn't though it took longer to read the ones i didn't.

6. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    If you need to read the excercises at first, then go ahead and read them. But something like scales in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, should be easy to get the hang of after a few times. Eventually, you should have it together enough that you'll be off the page with that, I think. Don't sweat it. Just do what you must to learn it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021