1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Real 1959 Fender Precision with tapewounds recorded

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Will Kelly, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    I have finally figured out how to make little movies with audio and post them to youtube! Doh!

This allows me to put up some vintage (circa 1980) recordings of my dad's playing.

In this tune, he is using his 1959 Fender P-bass strung with nylon tapewound strings. He is playing through an old Fender bassman head and the piggyback 2x12 cab that would have gone with it. Cab woud've been miked.

Dad is now in his 70's and still plays that bass to this day; he bought it new and it has been the only fretted electric bass he has ever owned.

I'm going to try and put more clips up later, this is just a taste.

Cullen Offer Big Band.mov - YouTube

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Very nice! Cool story about your Dad..thanks

3. NICE!
    Thanx for sharing this,
    nice sound!
    Jeff

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Nice story, and nice tone.

5. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Thanks! Those same strings were on that bass when I started playing sometime in the late 1990's. Boy he sure got mad when I took them off and put on some round wounds... I thought he was going to kill me. They had been on that bass for over twenty years!

Attached Files:

6. First - I appreciated what you posted and liked the link.

But - and this is probably gonna sound silly now - but in 15 years, there's gonna be vids on people playing a VM-Jaguar and everyone's gonna be amazed too.

"Wow! What tone and clarity!"

"They sure don't make 'em like that any more."

"I found one on CL for $3,000.00 - is that a good deal?"

7. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    LOL, Joe, that is true.

In fact, there is inherently nothing special at all about that bass other than it has been played a lot and it sounds good. That, and I enjoy getting to hear my old man playing it, which is really the only remarkable thing to me about it at all.

Honestly, I have two other P-basses, a MIJ Squier from the early 80's and a MIM 57 RI that I think sound just as good as the '59.

I joke with my dad about his "collectors item" bass and he just says people are crazy, it's just a tool to him. He could care less.

8. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    on a note aside from that awesome instrument, I think your dad is a FANTASTIC bassist.

9. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    That's a wonderful piece of work. Any chance we could get some audio/video of your dad playing today? That would be pretty awesome, I think.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Agreed! Very smooth player.

11. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Thanks for the compliments! I will pass those on to him next time I call him.

I'm going to try when time permits to put up some other recordings on youtube for him.

He was an original rock n roller, starting in 1959 , then playing in Doug Sahm's first band and then doing the whole San Antonio R&B scene in the 60's. He has gotten to play with some famous folks in his time including Gatemouth Brown, Jimmy Reed and Vicky Carr.

Funny thing, he is just now learning to read music. He has always played just by ear, and if I recall correctly, he was not the first call bassist for the recording above since he can't read and Cullen always did just one take. I think I remember him telling me that the piano player on that session didn't read either!

12. And that is the honest truth about an instrument. Bassists get all worked up about the most inane things concerning their instruments when in the long run the abilities of the musician is what matters most in music and a bass is merely a tool of expression.

+1

13. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Thanks for posting that link. Really liked!

14. Will Kelly... I apologise for my previous soap-box response because it really didn't address the true spirit of your post. I've been listening to the recording you posted (over and over and...) and I just want to thank you for sharing it. Your dad is a very talented player indeed (and he's obviously a saint since you're still alive even after changing out the seasoned strings on his bass.... you naughty boy).

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Real nice, sounds great, too.

It's easier to treat an instrument like a tool when it gets the job done so well!

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    in 15 years? I seriously doubt it. I don't doubt that in 30-60 years there will be some kind of bass envy for what we are playing today, but it won't be anytime soon.

17. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    really dug that tune! thanks for posting.

i'm betting a brand new mim fender would also sound good in your pa's hands.

18. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Great playing and sweet tone. Kudos to your father.

Any photos or videos of your dad playing nowadays?

By the way, I love the way his bass looks.

19. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    awesome post...he sounds slick in the recording. Well done. Some really nice horn arrangements on there too!

20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Neat recording, tell dad he's a great bass player. It would be interesting to hear a clip of dad and son playing together. At 70 your father has lived a very full and hopefully rewarding life, here's wishing many more enjoyable and healthy years for the two of you and your families. Happy New Year!