1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

real expirience

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by boamedt, Mar 28, 2009.

1. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    first off, i have only been playing a year, and have had 3 to 4real gigs, every one else in my band has at least 10 yrs under their belt, so to the story. so after the club *icks us around by schedualing us fo a gig on sun, cancelling a gig, reschedualing, and they cancelled that gig. so we got a fri night gig, and we get to back up this Jamaican singer coming to town.
    so he mailed us a 10 song cd with no song titles. ok fine i have been learning this music for 2 weeks. we had a gig last night where my normal band(Sahaj) was to open for him(messenjah Selah). that sounds good. except for we dont get to meet the guy until we go on stage with him:eek: so a week before the gig our band is practicing and he gives us a call. he has the set list finally. oh and 3 more songs for us to find and learn in a few days.
    so we get to the show he shoes up late as i figured and changes the songs once more, because hey, half the songs didnt have words on the cd anyhow. so now we mix ups, breakdowns, reel ups, ect. all that arent on the cd. so we basically pulled the whole show out our rectums that night and didnt get paid. my first band didnt even get paid. the club gave the Messenjah Selah $700. so i played from 6:30pm until 1am. 2 bands 26 songs, 80hrs+ practice, no compensation.
    ok so yea i got expirience, like i learned dont put more time and effort into something no one else is going to(singer) uh.... dont back up jamacans. uh i learned that even though i had a lower back brace and a strap for my bass that was supposed to distribute wieght evenly across my shoulders my back will still hurt if i play for 5 1/2 hrs. but was it all worth it? i mean sure its just money money but its also rude. its like telling you your band sucks and even play ur heart out 5 hrs and entertain everyone in the room your band isnt even worth me paying u. but feel free to come back anytime. i mean it makes me fell like crap. im not worth anything? thanks

2. Grow a pair.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    It sounds to me like you just learned the hard way why a contract is so valuable when you take a gig.

4. YUP, hope you learned the lesson.

5. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    yea

6. Robster22

Robster22

Jul 27, 2008
    BC Canada

Welcome to the biz and the real world... in some professions thats called paying your dues ;)

7. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    hopefully i am here by initiated then

8. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    one lesson of many yet to come...

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

this is it right here

10. Not to be a snob. Was I the only one who had a hard time reading this?

11. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Nope! Spellcheckers and correct pronunciation go a long way.

12. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    sorry my english grammar was at the bottom list writing that. i just had to blurt it all out

hmm i hope these leesons take a break for my next fri gig in sf

13. I dunno, do you have a signed contract?

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Take a look at the link in my sig. Lots of info on being in a band there.

No contract=no gig. Your band did it to themselves. Don't blame the vocalist, the club or anyone else.

I mean, a list of songs with no names? How were they going to be called out on stage?

15. Due 07

Due 07

Dec 23, 2008
    haha, I live in a town called Selah!