Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real Overdrive!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    In my quest for tasty overdrive, i've come up with a good idea. Would it be possible/feasible/intelligent to get an MXR Micro Amp and just crank it all the way to get real overdrive, or would it just be really loud and crappy? Thanks!

And an off topic question... is it better for an octave pedal to be in the beginning or end? Thanks. :help:

2. The MXR is solid state right? Solid state stuff just doesn't sound good overdriven (cranked up) while tube stuff sounds great. I'm not familiar with said pedal but if it's just a kind of volume/gain pedal and not a true overdrive pedal, it'll sound real bad cranked up to the max.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like my danelectro daddy-o overdrive. It's sweet sounding, and it has a 3-band EQ, which is very useful for a bass.

4. I just love my Boss Overdrive ( the yellow one )

5. before this gets derailed by talking about other overdrives...

u can use a micro amp to drive a preamp harder so THAT gets overdriven (only do this w/ tube preamps, SS does have a horrible sound)...but u cant use the micro amp as an overdrive pedal...its a clean gian boost, but that boost can be powerful enough to drive a warmed up preamp into some serious growl...

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is that how Sir Timmy C does it?

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    No

Whats the point, why would he have a clean boost on all the time when he can just turn the input up on his amp if that's his general tone.

Both Timmy C and Flea use the micro amp and its probably just to have a volume boost for solos or when ever they need to be noticed more.

Again I agree the Micro Amp can not be used for overdrive, unless u are overdriving a tube amp and if you intend to have this as your main sound on all the time you might as well just crank the input gain.

Go buy your self either

Fulltone Bass Drive
    Dod 250
    Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
    Sansamp
    MXR Zakk Wylde Sig
    Danelectro Daddy O

All of those pedals have nice overdrive tones. Some lose more bass than others but that tend to be respective of price.

Hope this helps

8. Prolly not...
    He uses his homemade distortion box for his over the top distortion sound, and the natural drive in his SVT2 for the "normal" overdrive...the micro amp on his board is probably used in the "normal" overdrive path, but in conjunction w/ his compressor. He has his clean sound, his clean sound w/ amp2, his clean sound with amp 2 with added compression and gain (i believe thats where the micro amp and compressor come in), and clean sound with amp2 with compression and gain, and the distoriton amp rig...

I could be wrong tho...but Im pretty sure he doesnt use the micro amp to drive one of his amps reguarly, theres no need to

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Just my take on that Solid-State comment: Not all SS gear is created equal. The nasty odd-order harmonics from a clipping germanium transistor are completely different from the way a FET (field effect transistor) behaves. FET gear like a SansAmp sounds a lot more musical and sounds similar to a tube circuit.

For pure overdrive I like the SansAmp GT2 on the California (MESA) setting, tweaked to your desired degreee of OD, of course.

10. A micro amp in front of a sansamp bass driver might overdrive the hell out of it.....might sound good.
    -eric

11. Of course, but they're designed differently from a standard volume pedal kind of thing. My Sansamp sounds great, but it's designed for overdrive, with a drive knob (for example). But just turning the volume up on a SS amp (or pre-amp) and pushing it to saturation doesn't sound good.

Solid state preamps (or effects) designed for overdrive can sound good, don't worry about that. A Sansamp would be a good choice, as would many that have been suggested earlier in this thread.

12. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would definately suggest the DOD 250. I can get some very nice tones out of it without sacrificing too much of my low end.

13. I recently got a fulltone bassdrive. Get an 18v adapter with it and you have yourself a great overdrive. The difference is night and day from 9v to 18v.

14. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Won't that eventually damage the pedal?

15. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I guess it might damage some pedals and not others, I think it's the same with onboard preamps.

I'd imagine imagine the Zakk Wylde sig distortion must be good for bass, he pretty much uses bass strings anyways, I've seen his signature set with a 70 gauge E string... I mean come on, that's almost as thick as the ultra light gauge E I had on my Traben a few weeks ago, which was 85.

Plus it sounds awesome on guitar too... So anybody actually use this pedal?

16. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I've tried the Micro Amp in front of my Ampeg SVP preamp, and it's basically the same as turning up the input gain knob, so unless you need to boost your input level mid-song, it's not really worthwhile. Sounds great if thats what you need though, a la Timmy C and Flea.

17. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll second the Fulltone BassDrive comment. And, no, it WILL NOT hurt the pedal to run it at 18v. They are designed to be run at 9 or 18v.

It is an awesome pedal.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The answer's easy.
    Crank the gain on your head to the max.
    If you like what you hear, the Micro-amp might be your answer BUT you will have to lower your master volume to compensate every time ou want to use the pedal.
    The Bassdrive was meant to run in 18 V. That's how mine is.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've got another idea.

Would if I put a Micro Amp right in front of my Guv'nor and max it, and put the level low, or put the micro amp in the loop? Would that make it more intense?