Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Realist contact problems

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by edge83, Jun 19, 2005.

1. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Hi Everyone- this is a strange problem for me in that what seems like the obvious solutions are not very successful-

i have a 'used' realist pickup that while definitely shows some wear (i believe this is an older one, there are clearly two small circles and the film is thin and quite wrinkled in my case). It will work great for months and then all of a sudden have problems getting any sound unless i moved the bridge foot, often VERY slightly and precisely goes from full sound to no sound at all. this happened once in february and again recently (june) so i'm guessing weather could be a factor.

i am baffled by how incredibly sensitive this seems to be given the nature of how that thing is installed-- i could have sworn the pickup was completely fried but then it would suddenly work again for a second as i would make minor adjustments to the bridge foot, even just turning the angle.
    i have angled the bridge down toward the tailpiece and/or moved the foot slightly just to make sure the feet were making full contact WITHOUT the realist, and then would re-insert it- it is definitely very, very firm in there and i can't imagine how under that kind of pressure it's not consistently happening. when it happened in feb. it was just a 'get it in the right spot, then all is well' - didnt come up again until now.. but as of yesterday i can actually get the sweet spot, not do anything, and then it wont work again hours later. also i leave the realist on when i take it to my luthier (recently) so i'm sure that the bridge is set correctly with it on.

also if i take the pickup off and connect it, when i touch it etc. it always works, at any angle so i don't believe it's a loose wire.

is it possible that the way the realist dents/scratches a bit under the foot (mine may be worse from frantic moving when this happened) could affect contact? it doesnt seem like that should be nearly enough to be a factor given the amount of pressure etc. from the bridge but i'm not sure.

does anyone have any similar experiences or know something
    about the realist that would help me here. obviously this happening even once or twice is unacceptable and stressful (made for a rough set last night.. the room and situation was not at all geared toward no amplification/mic.) i' will have backup on hand and may check out new pickups but i do really like the realist and i'm hesitant to just get a new one because it seems like the pickup itself really works, and it's something with the relationship between it and the bass that is more subtle than usual.

i just tried putting it on 'upside down'- so that the wire side comes from the top of the foot.. seems to work but i'm never certain now and am hoping to understand it better

thanks

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It sounds like it's to shot to me. Maybe a short in the wiring somewhere.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's what I'm thinking. Great pickups, but kind of fragile. I've got a dead one that I need to send back to Gage....someday...when I get around to it.... :rolleyes:

4. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    thanks- good to know that the pickups themselves wear down so that i dont have to keep worrying about it being a bridge thing or fear getting a new realist and just having the same thing occur. makes sense too that the internal wiring being loose is why it would only work with the pressure from the bass at such exact spots.

it is pretty flimsy, a corner of the film actually ripped off last night- so i guess this thing is basically worthless-- you mention sending it back, does he have a policy you know of about fixing his stuff?-- perhaps i should just buy a new (the 'new' version) of the realist, it sucks not being able to sell your old, but i guess i definitely got my moneys worth

thanks

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    When I contacted Gage, they said to just package it up and send it with a description of the problem, and they would diagnose it and figure out whether or not it's worth fixing. Mine's pretty much trashed; the wire has pulled out thru the copper foil for about 1/3 the length of the pickup.

I do like the pickup's sound. Arco is really nice. I'm more of an AMT mic guy now, so I haven't rushed to fix the Realist.