Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Realist pickup positioning

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LarryR, Jul 22, 2004.

1. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    To the illustrious, luminescent URBist's's's....

Prob: My BassMax has developed a short and instead of fixing or replacing it, it's time to move on.

I once tried a Realist and (for me) it sounded better, warmer, nicer, more balanced, less honky than BassMax, but, it was SO bottomy and dark. I prefer old Skool sound, thick & dark, but the Realist (least for me) was too much so.

Question: Anyone tried a Realist under the other bridge foot?
    If so, mind reporting your findings?

Gracias. Viva La Basso!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think I recall reading that Edgar Meyer did it that way. Wherever you put it, make sure there is absolutely NO tension on the wire. or that little $180 foil package will split open like a stick of Juicy Fruit. Then it'll look and sound (read;silent) just like the one collecting dust in the back of my desk drawer.

Very dark through my Contra. I used to think it was a good arco sound, until I got my AMT mic. With the Realist, I was going to try the treble bridge foot thing before it crapped out.

3. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Marcus,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and thank you for the warning. I owe you up-front as I'm already benefitting from your misery. I shoulda been a funeral home director.

Thing is, I need a replacement pickup quick (before Wednesday) and I have an oppty to buy a hardly-ever "used" Realist for $ 100. I thought, hell, in a pinch I'm bailed out (if temporarily) and can resell later. Course, now I read a warning to NOT buy used as the imprint may cause problems.

Ideally, I'd rather buy a Mic, but, the volume and room acoustics of my residency-type gig might be problematic. We play in a cigar box.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I used to use a Realist, sometimes under the treble foot, sometimes under tha bass foot. In my opinion, it was always too dark and overbalanced toward which ever side (treble or bass) it was on. Mine also crapped out and I never bothered to replace it. I'm enjoying using the Full Circle, which is brighter than a Realist but more natural and balanced than the Bass Max - but you need to be handy with EQ to really get either to sing. It's more expensive than the used Realist, though.

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Just a note...David Gage is a wonderful guy and has replaced my Realist several times the first few with no charge...(there was that nub that can indent the bass, he replaced it with a newer version that is flat) then the wire shorted and he replaced it again then the same thing happened recently and he replaced it for $25. David is a guy who will really try to do right by you.
    With that said I just recently replaced my Realist with a similar but far superior pick up, called pick up the world.

6. Larry, in case you haven't heard, some bassists I respect are going GA-Ga over the Pick-Up the World pick-up that flatback mentions. Not sure on the price.

7. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for chiming in.

I drove to the "used Realist" last night. Played the guy's bass. The pickup worked. Handed over the $ 100. Loosened the strings, was about to remove the G-string and noticed the gnawed wiring on the pickup (the dude has a feline). Got my $ 100 back and left.

I'll use my P-Bass for next week's gig (the band will understand) and now it's back to PUTW or Full Circle. I'm leaning towards PUTW.

Thanks again folks.