1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

really big stacks ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pooja, May 11, 2006.

1. pooja

pooja

Jan 17, 2006
    I see alot of the time at big shows people will have lots and lots of cabnets, but if theirs gonna be a big PA then why not just use a small amp? sorry if this sounds stupid

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    eye candy. most of them aren't being used.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Big Stack!

[​IMG]

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stage monitors sometimes, other times for looks, other times it's purely for advertising.

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Mostly for looks. Remember the Van Halen Stages in 1985 ish. Horns in the bass drums, speakers on the face side of the steps.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    When I saw Styx, Ricky Phillips had 8 Ampeg 810e's! Only one was on for everyone in the band to hear him. The PA pounded his AMPEG sound (mic and Ampeg DI) very well that night! It's just for show. If all of those bass cabs were on, the players would be deaf after a few shows.

7. Bigger stack!
    [​IMG]

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I love the tone of bass through a lot of speakers even at low volume. There is something fundamentally different about one 2x10 vs two 8x10s, even if the volume is the same.

9. Most of them are empty boxes made for show only and fabricated of thin ply with Tolex and grill cloth. A friend of mine worked for Peavey for about 10 years and he remembers making several sets of these for very well known bands. He said that they were so light that anyone could easily carry two supposed "412" cabs at a time to load and unload a stage quickly.

10. pooja

pooja

Jan 17, 2006
    yeah i guess its different when you dont need to move your own gear around.

11. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    BASS RULE #12: Half of "great bass tone" is purely psycological.

12. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006

I'd have to agree at some point that it's really nice to look at. But like ERIC, I personally use all my cabinets on open venues just to get my tone accurate(at least a little more).. I don't drive my cabs that loud.. But I'm getting a consistent, balanced sound out of them, helping each other, moving more air with different frequencies(speed) without forcing each of the drivers to push harder just to get high amplitude to extend the distance and area that the sound wave would travel. Especially subsonics, the one that you feel not hear. Even if there's a PA system, sometimes they have no speaker that could produce that. If PA system have speakers that could produce subsonics at high volume, I could use my cabs to provide me and my bandmates the pleasure of the subsonics that the monitors won't produce... I always see to it that I do these all in balance and not with too much of any.

Here's the set up that I use in open venues.

MyUsualStageSetUp.