Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reason Users?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassturtle, May 20, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I've been using a Pro Tools Digi 001 system for a couple of years now and love the results. I recently purchased Reason 2.5 to use as a soft synth. Was wondering if anyone was doing the same thing. I've been trying to use it for piano and string patches with limited results. Anyone have any tips for making the patches a bit less harsh sounding? ie what reverb/eq units are you using in reason if any and if so how are you patching the effects in (like through the aux in/outs or direct into the sampler)? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use ProTools and Reason, and I get some decent results methinks (except my drum sounds - still working on that). Put a reverb in an insert on the mixer - it helps alot. Usually I put a bit of distortion on drums - just a tad- and that helps them sound a bit more real. Also, DON'T just take the stock samples that they have in there and use them as is. Tweak them. I'm starting to hear plain Reason samples in car commercials; that's some weak trash.

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Are you using the RV7000 reverb or the older reverb that came with 2.0? I've also been using the Scream module on the tube setting to warm things up a bit with decent results. I guess I need to spend more time tweaking the samples directly on the sampler. Have you tried any of the refill packs? Any refills you'd recommend for good grand piano sounds?

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm mostly using the RV7000 on the drums, but it just depends on the song. I've got all the free refills, but pretty much all the samples suck to various degrees. I'm kind of digging the Old Piano sample on the XT sampler; it's got a funky sort of vibe.

Try a pinch of the kicktweaker setting on your drums. It helps alot.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Reason rocks if you have a rewire-capable host program like Cubase. I agree on having to tweak the sounds.
    I even heard a commercial where they just did some very minor tweaks to the default song of Reason 1. Cheats.

There are lots of Reason-related sites on the net. Check out Reasonstation. www.reasonstation.net

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, sorry I turned this into an "I need help with Reason" thread. I'll check out that link JMX...thanks a lot. I guess I was really just interested in knowing other peoples take on using Reason with Pro Tools.

I believe the latest addition of Pro Tools can use Rewire (way to be on top of things digidesign :rolleyes: ) although I haven't taken the time to download that latest version. I'm still using a second desktop as a 'soft synth' machine. I'm just leary of using the same machine to run both Pro Tools and Reason...both of them are CPU hogs.

Ben did you use Reason on your "radio friendly" song?

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I use reason on all my songs. I've been using Reason rewired into Protools for close to a year now.

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Cool. It sounds like you've had good luck with running them both on the same machine.

Thanks for everyone's input.

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey, I'm a Reason/ProTools user as well. I have to get off my butt and upgrade to ProTools 6 so I can use ReWire. :meh:

I'm barely scratching the surface of what's possible with Reason.

Do any of you other guys have examples of stuff you've done with it that you'd be willing to share?

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Try my website.

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I had already listened to "A Confession of Weakness" and had been meaning to compliment you on it - very cool stuff.

I've started downloading and listening to the other tracks as well.

Just re-inforces how much I have to learn :(

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    To me it re-inforces how much I suck.

13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I've almost finished listening to all the .mp3s from your site so to this I say:

Bollocks.

:)

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What exactly does bollocks mean, anyway? I'm not up to speed on my 70's punk lingo.

15. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Literally, a bollock is a testicle. What I was trying to say is that your statement about sucking was patently false.

I'm not punk, I am nemo.

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ROFL...man you TOTALLY need to make that your new quote!

And Ben, I'm in agreement with unharmed. Your stuff is very cool and very fresh. I listened to most of it a couple of weeks back and really thought it was all live players. You obviously have a better handle on the whole 'synth' thing than most.

So, have a cookie and take our compliments :D

17. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Bassturlte, no matter how much you tweak Reason you will get ****ty sounds from it. Especially the ones that come stock. I even tried some high end samples importing into Reason, but it's sound engine thru rewire kills it. The only thing that will help is very good outboard gear, and when you go into that territory you might as well buy a kick ass hardware sampler and some decent samples. People I'm not looking to start a flame war here, but the only reason you think or say that Reason has a decent sound, is because you haven't compared it to something better sounding like a nice EMU Hardware Sampler or Roland / Yamaha Modules. The FX that come with Reason are also useless as far as sound quality goes, well to my ear at least. It all depends how far you want to progress, if it's music for commercials or video games its fine - they'll compress the **** out of it anyways before the final release, but for CD or Vinyl release it's not close to a pro level. Funny thing is, when I import the samples straight into pro tools or even use it in Recycle 2.1 as a stand a long program it sounds twice better then in Reason, so it's definitely the sound engine. That's why I think Reason is so stable, it's not CPU heavy, the more processing a program takes the better it will sound.

Cheers

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Some people like bad sounds, thank you very much. :rollno:

True, you can get good sounds out of really expensive stuff, that takes forever to learn, or you could use Reason and deal with it. I've had tons of recording gear in the past, and have recorded in multi-million dollar studios. But I am more productive with less gear, so Reason suits me fine.

19. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Yes that is corect, somtimes if you want to get a dirty old string sound you would need a low qulity smaple, but he wasn't happy with the soudn, that's why i replied.

Cheers