1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recomend me some blues..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by imChinOaChicken, Aug 8, 2007.

1. i heard the song "hear my train a'coming" by hendrix and realized that the blues-type stuff is actually pretty cool.

ive been listening to different things and these songs stick out in my mind..
    Stevie Ray Vaughan- The Sky is Crying
    Jimi Hendrix- Hear My Train A Comin

can anyone please recomend some blues-type songs and artists along these lines? these songs have some awesome guitar work and less singing which is what im interested in.

thanks

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Killin Floor, I believe Howlin Wolf did it originally.

That tune is what keeps me coming back to the gigs every weekend. It's a great song, and it's lots of fun to play!

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'm really partial to SRV and if you're listening to him, I'll recommend The Sky is Crying cd.

Buddy Guy
    John Lee Hooker
    Muddy Waters
    B.B. King
    Albert King
    Albert Collins

Ian Moore's first two cd's are great.

Gary Moore is really good as is Gov't Mule.

As far as the young guns are concerned, Derek Trucks smokes just about all of them including Johnny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepherd

4. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Slash's godfather solo is very good.

5. Skipy109

Skipy109

Jan 16, 2007
    Saskatoon, SK
    Eric Clapton's version of Crossroad
    Bo Diddley

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Muddy Waters
    Buddy Guy & Jr. Wells
    B.B. King
    Eary Allman Bro.
    Fab. T-Birds.
    Howlin Wolf.
    Johnny Winter.
    Hollywood Fats Band.
    Paul Butterfield
    Albert King
    Albert Collins
    Dr. John.
    Mike Bloomfield
    Wet Willie
    Early Roomful of Blues.
    Cream

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I love traditional blues stuff like Robert Johnson, Son House, Leadbelly, Lightnin' Hopkins, Elmore James etc. But it sounds like you want blues with a bit of a rock influence.

Some good stuff mentioned so far. A big +1 to Albert King & Buddy Guy.

You might want to check out Led Zeppelin I. For something a little more modern you might try the White Stripes.

8. Rory Gallagher

9. Walter Trout

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Which version of Hear My Train A-Coming have you been listening to? There's a few of them, including an acoustic version that's almost Delta Blues in style...

For the electric stuff, you might want to check out some of the classic Chicago Blues artists, some have been mentioned above, but I'd add guys like Otis Rush, Freddie King and Robert Nighthawk.

For a more rock-orientated take on it, you could do worse than to check out some of Clapton's 1960s work with John Mayall and Cream.

An album I really love is Howlin Wolf's London Sessions.

11. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Check this excellent Stevie Ray Vaughn concert:

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com:80/concertdetail.aspx?id=20050304|6807

You have to register to listen, but it`s not too bad, just a name and an email.

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I heard Walter Trout for the first time the other day and boy did he smoke!

13. I should hope so too... have you seen his 'CV'???

Played in Canned Heat and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers...

14. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    John Mayall's Bluesbreakers w. Eric Clapton

Taj Mahall

Paul Butterfield

Alexis Korner

Peter Green (early)

Chicken Shack

15. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Alot of good ones there, one of my favorites

Michael Burks "I Smell Smoke":hyper:

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Lots of good ones recommended already. Hendrix was my door to the blues, too. Be sure to check out his recording of "Red House". It's not surprising to have Jimi lead you to SRV. SRV was well-noted to be hugely influenced by Jimi, and covered a few of his songs ("Voodoo Chile" and "Little Wing", to name two).

In addition to all the great recommendations above, let me add:
    Tab Benoit - Great guitar (with some cajun flavor) and a killer bass player.
    Joe Bonamassa - Guitar-slingin' blues.

If you start diving deeper into SRV, it will definitely lead you to many of the greats that came before him. As you dig deeper into Jimi's work, you'll start to reaize just how much of his stuff is based on the blues.

17. pixelpounder

pixelpounder

Aug 26, 2006
    Chitown area
    +1 on Joe Bonamassa

Also The Robert Cray Band.

The latest CD smokes!

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My bro-in-law (an ex-Marine) and I saw Robert Cray open for BB King last year (along with Joe Bonamassa and KWS). Cray's song "Twenty" brought us both to tears. Very powerful stuff.

19. thanks for all the recomendations :D

i got some albert king and clapton stuff and its pretty cool. im looking for the Sky Is Crying album but the nearby stores have a pathetic amount of blues stuff available and dont have it.

i was listening to a couple live electric versions of Hear My Train. i preferred it over the acoustic one that i saw a video of.

thanks

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    This thread got me thinking about some stuff again. Clapton's covers of Robert Johnson songs ("Sessions for Robert J") are a good modern takes on classic pieces.