Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grey, Dec 13, 2004.

1. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    Ok...I've been looking for a second hand amp for a while now (Currently renting) and not getting anywhere, I'm thinking before long, I might have to go for new. Has anyone got any recommendations? Criteria:

- Play in a metal band, small/possibly medium size venues
    - 4 and 5's used, so need something to cope with both
    - Need something realtively compact
    - And hopefully doesnt sound like complete rubbish
    - Budget £400 - £500

is this feasible?

I'm obvously going to go try everything out if it comes to it, but just wondered what everyones recommendations wre.

2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Peavey used or Behringer new for less than $250.00 USD will crank some decent tone.....

3. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    thanks.

and while we're on the subject, as someone who's not got much experience with amps, what would be the major difference in sound between a 4 x 10 vs 2 x 12?

4. Ashdown ABM300 EVO 11 new price for most stores £550 approx, or nearly as good the MAG300 head for £250 approx with a Ashdown mag 410 cab or a second hand cab.

I used the MAG 300 head as backup to my Ampeg SVTCL and liked the sound so much i sold my Ampeg and got the Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i treally depends upon the particular cabinet and speakers being used. In general, tens wil lbe quciker and more aggressive sounding, and twelves will have more of a "rounder" smoother sound. But not always, sometimes the reverse is true with certain brands. For your style of music i think you would be happy with a 4x10, but try a bunch out. I woudl also reccomend getting an amp that can put out at least 300-400 watts into the cabinet you are going to use. Most 4x10 cabs are 8 ohms, so you'd need a head that could put that kind of wattage into 8 ohms, but some 4x10 cabs are available in 4 ohms, which would make your amp choices easier and cheaper. IMHO, i woudl say try to get the best 4x10 you can, and if you have to buy a cheaper amp head with enough watts, go ahead. A good cabinet and an OK head will still sound pretty good, but a good head and a crappy cabinet will sound like crap.

6. grey

grey

May 13, 2004
    That's great advice thanks, I just kinda need to know the general rules so I have something to expect and know what to look for, that's so much help :)

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Difference between 4x10 and 2x12? Not very damn much. Both sound great and usually weight about the same as one another. :D