1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a 5-String with a narrow string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tankdave, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    A year ago I moved to a 5-String bass, a Nordy VJ5 (classic), whilst it's an awesome sounding thing and the build quality is perfection etc. etc. I still occasionally end up "picking" a string the left-hand is not fretting.

At the moment I'm on vacation in AR and my friends over here have got me 5-string bass that I can keep here and hence not have to borrow one, which is usually a 4'er anyhow. It's only a cheapy but it has been a bit of a revelation to play

It's got a very narrow string spacing at the bridge, only 16mm, whilst my Nordy is the more regular 19mm. It would seem the reduced reach for playing "finger-style" is helpfull "I dont do slap BTW"

When I get home, I think I might just look into getting a bass that has a similar spacing, perhaps no more than 17mm. My question is, who makes good quality basses this narrow??

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Ibanez Soungear basses and Spector basses mostly come with 16.5 mm string spacing at the bridge :)

3. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I can relate to your situation. Last year I sold my Alembic Orion Six that had 19mm spacing and got an Ibanez GVB36 six-string with 14 mm spacing. I'm loving it and so are my hands. I also just sold my F Bass BN5 for the same reason. It seems that for any basses past four strings I need tighter spacing than 19mm.

Wally

4. Warwicks also have a pretty tight spacing

5. Yes they do. My Thumb bass has pretty tight spacing. For the more budget concious I second the Ibanez soundgear basses.

6. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1 for Spector. Modulus 5-strings are 17mm. These are two of my favorite basses from higher production volume shops.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    That's quite a change in basses, going from Alembic to Ibanez..

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1
    this is why ive come to only play ibanez and spector (that and spector is just plain friggin awesome ;). )

warwick has some that arent too wide also..

9. XRBHZ

XRBHZ

Nov 3, 2009
    Redford, Michigan
    My classic stingrays spacing is gorgeous. Id give those a try.

10. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Ibanez Sound Gear is super narrow, and won't sound too bad for less either... like a ton of people already said.
    I am just adding my +1

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    It was quite the change and my hands love it. I mainly use my sixer for chordal work and the 14mm spacing is perfect. When I bought the Alembic I was a 190 lb. power lifter and now weigh about 155. The Alembic was much heavier as well. I have no regrets making this move and am really happy with the Ibanez.

Wally

12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Glad to hear that! ;) And what will replace the FBass?

13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Yamaha BB5000. Preferably a MIJ, 1984/85. :bassist:

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Another inexpensive candidate would be a Millennium 5. Mine measures out at about 17 mm but offers some lateral adjustment if desired.

Riis

15. MeLikeBass

MeLikeBass Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a Spector Rebop and I find it very comfortable to play. The biggest issue has been the small body, not the string spacing. It think the thick neck makes it more comfortable for me than an Ibanez Soundgear neck.

17. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    A MacBook Pro and Logic Pro software. I'm down to four basses and all unique. I have my Kubicki X-Factor bought new in 1986, a Fender American Jazz Standard with Roland GK3B pickup for Roland V-Bass, the Ibanez GVB36 and a 1/4 size Kay with a Turner UB1 pickup. The only things I desire in the future are a good P Bass and a better URB, maybe a 1/2 or 5/8 size.

Wally

18. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Old Rickenbacker 5 strings have ridiculously tight spacing.

19. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    In order, Roscoe Spector Warwick Ibanez...and Ibby makes a gerald veasley bass thats 14mm spacing....14mm. hhmm.

20. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    That is not a link to a MacBook Pro that I put there and not even the Mac that I'll be purchasing. Does anyone else find it annoying that our posts are used to sell product by someone else?

Wally