Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend a good summer music workshop/camp

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by pedro, Apr 29, 2004.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm interested in summer music camps of no more than two weeks in duration and situated in the U.S. They should be classical (vs Jazz) and should focus on the development of technique and repretoire. I am interested in both bass only and orchestral programs but the orchestral programs should also feature strong bass faculty.

2. well it might be mighty hard to find a 2 week camp like that. Some camps that i have been to are interlochen's camp. Interlochen is the most intense boarding school in the country ( according to the juliard's head of addmisions, apperently interlochens where they get 50% of there class...) and its for four or 8 weeks. Brevard is another great one, but it is seven weeks. You are ganna have a lot of trouble finding a 2 week camp, but good luck. Happy trails
    pete

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    You could go to the UNT Music School website and check out Jeff Bradetich and Lynn Seaton's summer programs. These guys are awesome, and if I didn't let myself get roped into a musical production that extends through those dates that's where I'd be registering for a summer ass-kicking.

Jeff Bradetich and Lynn Seaton are awesome bassists. Jeff uses the French bow, but has no fear whatsoever in helping German bow players get better if that's what you use too.

Man, it's cool to be a native Texan and get to learn from people like David Neubert, Jeff Bradetich, Lynn Seaton, and Paul Ellison. Yee haw.

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You might want to consider the American School of Double Bass (http://www.asodb.com) Summer Music Retreat. It's not two weeks but it's the sort of thing you're looking for.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks for the suggestions. We seriously considered the UNT camp w/ Jeff Bradetich and Lyn Seaton but unfortunately the camp ends before school does. I've heard terrific things about both teachers.

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Slava Publishing (George Vance) usually does a camp in Maryland in August. Rabbath has been there for the past few years.

You should also check out the Golden Gate Bass Camp.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[You should also check out the Golden Gate Bass Camp.

Do you have more details on it?

8. Volkan Orhon is at Kinhaven in Weston Vt. I'm sure they have a website. Volkan is at Volkanbass.com

9. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Golden Gate Bass Camp

Mon July 11-Sun July 17, 2005
    at Holy Names University, Oakland CA

with Diana Gannett, David Murray, Sandor Ostlund, Kristin Korb, Barry Green,
    John Clayton, David Young, John Kennedy, Dustin Williams, Richard Duke,
    Ed Williams, Pat Klobas, Alan Scofield, and others TBA

10. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    BUTI Double Bass Workshop w/ Todd Seeber (BSO)

its amazing

11. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
  12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Tanglewood doesn't cut it anymore ?

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    My original post was to find camps for my son for the summer of 2004. He graduates this year so he probably won't be doing any camps this summer. But thanks for all the suggestions.

14. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Tanglewood doesn't cut it anymore?....are you high?

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Ages 11-22. Dammit, I knew I shoulda started at a younger age!!! John Clayton is the featured clinician. :bawl:

16. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Two week intensive program out in the mountains outside of Los Angeles. Charles de Ramus is the coach there and I've heard great things. Dennis Trembly usually gives a masterclass every year too, I believe
    You prepare a concert over the two week period and then perform it at Disney Hall at the end. This past year they just did Pictures at an exhibition, Overture to la forza del destino, and the symphonic dances to west side story.
    I know it's pretty late now, but it's a great two week program.

17. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Is this program open to the age-gifted (adult and senior musicians), or do only young people participate?

It sounds like an interesting program.

18. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Generally it is a younger crowd (high-school- late 20's) but there's a local guy that plays in the bass section and he's in his 50's, and I believe there are some older musicians throughout the orchestra.
    go to idyllwildarts.org for more info.

19. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    There's a festival in brym mawr PA calles Strings international. It runs for two weeks in july and features some philly orch people. The orchestral program is alright, but the guy who teaches bass is a real no-name. I tmight be...hank....henry...Harold. Harold Robinson. I went last summer and learned a lot. I highly reccomend it, esp for a short festival.