1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a PA sub amp. ??? experience with a Crest LT2000?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Oct 30, 2010.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Earlier this week, I bought some 8 ohm Fender 18" subs and the ratings are 450min/900/1800. I thought my current amp could do a bridged 4 ohm load, but it can't. If I understand correctly, I should be looking for something around 1800w or so @ a 4 ohm load?

I went to my local shop that has Crown. I was going to pick up one of the new D class amps, the XLS 2000. Does 2100w @ 4ohm bridged, but they didn't have any in stock. The did offer to sell me a display Crest LT2000, 2400w @ 4 ohms bridged, but I don't know anything about this amp, I'm a bit concerend, being about 11 years old, it would need 20 amp service. Oh, I think it would be a good deal as they only want $225 for it, apperently sold for $1300 new.

Any advise would be a help,

Thanks

2. I have no experience with the LT2000, but have used Crest amps for years. That sounds like a good price even for a used one. I'd buy it, try it out; and if you do not like it, I but you could sell it for more than that, IMO.

3. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I was pretty well set on making the purchase. Should I be concerned with a 20amp rating? Would I likely have power issues at small gigs or in my practice space, if I only have 15amp service?

4. I wouldn't worry about that. I feel that you would never use full-power into those subs in an indoor situation.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i've been using an LT-1500 for years (same amp, a little less power). they do just fine, a little heavy compared to the newest class-D stuff but not as heavy as an average QSC RMX amp. they make great bass guitar power amps.

i did have two, but after many years one caught fire, and it turns out they can't really be fixed, just replaced :(

that said, i'd pay that for an LT-2000 in a heartbeat.

as for the 20amp thing, i've found that it's a matter of actual volume, not amp size. i once did a gig in a club with basically an outdoor festival PA that i'd rented, with amps and cabs that were way too powerful for the room. i'm taking $5000 Lab Gruppen and huge QSC PL6 amps that wanted to see 30amps each.

i was nervous about popping breakers since i was running it all into the 20amp plug behind the juke box :rolleyes:, but what actually happened was that at the volume i needed, the amps barely "woke up", sounding huge while barely lighting up any of their signal lights.

my normal subs amp is a PL4, which also wants to see a 30amp source, but i've never had a problem with it in clubs.

at 20amps, that crest will be fine. you might want to just run one fender sub into each side stereo rather than bridging, though, as that will draw more power.

6. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I have an LT1000 that I bought off ebay (new-in-box) about 7 years ago. I don't remember now, specifically, but it had an issue with one channel when I received it. I called Crest, it went directly to them, they sent it back & it's been great ever since.

I guess one of it's selling points at the time was it's lighter weight, but it sure feels like an anchor compared to my Shuttle.

That seems like a good deal to me. I'd buy another.

7. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Banned

Oct 29, 2010
    the Crest CA series is unbeatable, not familiar with any other series, but if you can find them used, they're worth the wait/weight

8. +1

9. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I bought the crest amp. I was told by the music store it was a rental/display unit. When I got it home channel B went into protect mode and wouldn't reset. I called crest, & they told me it wasn't worth the repair.

I ended up purchasing two Crown XLS 1500's. I run each one 8ohms bridged @1000w for each sub, they are pretty convincing, almost ready to make the switch to lightweight crown's for my mains & monitors.

Thanks for your replies.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "rental"? that might have changed my answer.

if it blew up as soon as you took it home, did you at least get your money back for it?

11. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Yep, I called the store within 30 min of the purchase, and went back the next day. I learned not to trust the cosmetic looks to judge condition. This amp looked near new, didn't have any rash and barely any scrapes.

I am quite happy with the crown amps though.

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Stay tuned next week for the "blew up my Fender subs" thread.:(

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The 20 amp circuit is not an issue, provided there is one available.

If the amp comes with a 20 amp plug on it (one of the blades will be turned 90 degrees), you may want to make a "cheater cord" to be able to plug it into a 15 amp receptacle.

As stated in other replies, the amp will only draw 20 amps when pushed hard at frequencies below 150hz or so, if you exceed the 15 amp supply, the circuit breaker will trip, letting you know you should turn down the subs.